Tuna fish/Mercury poisoning??

So every time I get pregnant I instantly cannot stand the smell, texture or taste of most forms of protien. (Eggs, beans, meat...all of it) However, I know how important protien is for my developing baby. I do, however, crave tuna fish sandwiches. I have heard that you are supposed to avoid too much tuna while pregnant because of mercury. But how much is too much? If I eat (and I have) three cans a week, is that too much?

zackkatiejames

Asked by zackkatiejames at 4:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Chunk light is what is best. And I think they say you shouldn't have more than a can a week (the middle size - sorry, i can't remember the number of oz.) I really think as long as you aren't eating tuna steaks, you should be okay.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• avoid certain types but canned is fine as long as you buy mostly lite not solid white.You are not going to eat enough of it to hurt the baby.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You can eat tuna, just don't eat it every day.
    Anonymous

• There's one type of tuna they tell you not to eat AT ALL. I don't know what it's called though, lol.
    But if they're small cans, and you're not eating it everyday, all day, three meals a day, you should be okay. just watch your intake. =]
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Arg, I can't remember the ok kind either! Maybe ask your doc (or nurse), s/he can probably tell you in a heartbeat!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Albacore? I think is the kind they say isn't safe. it has much more mercury than light tuna.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• They say 1-2 cans a week of chunk light tuna; avoid albacore.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 5:27 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Thanks All! I better cut back. I think I had four cans this week. :)
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 12:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009