Why do some people think Halloween is the devil's holiday?

When I used to be younger my mom wouldn't really let us go trick-or-treating cuz she said its like we're celebrating the devil or something like that. We used to tell her that...how is going to houses to get a bunch of candy celebrating the devil? She changed now and lets my little sisters go. I kinda felt bad for them cuz they would see other little kids dress up and pass by my mom's house saying trick or treat! and they would be.."awww mom we want to go get candy"... I took my son last year and I don't consider it bad. My sister in law is SOOOOO different from us (me and my man...her brother) and then sometimes she says that what we're doing is "bad" and we should change that. I hate it cuz in her religion basically EVERYTHING is bad. She thinks piercing your ears is a sin. She believes Halloween is the devils holiday...they don't do anything for Valentines day cuz she says its bad to celebrate "saints" She doesn't go out to have fun with her kids and she thinks going to the beach is not right cuz u can sin right there too looking at guys pass by without shirts on because of temptation" or something like that. She doesn't wear shorts or skirts cuz she thinks girls shouldn't be showing there legs to anyone other than their husband. And a bunch of other stuff that I think is perfectly normal. But its like...I do it and she considers me a sinner or something. She's pathetic.

HisMommy4Ever

Asked by HisMommy4Ever at 9:51 PM on Sep. 25, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because some people are closed minded and can't see that it's a fun holiday for kids to play dress up and get candy. It's only "the devil's holiday" if you make it that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:52 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• i grew up in a small town with a population of like, 1000 at best, and can safely say the town population was atleast 75% Christian back then. every single one of my friends was at church with me every Sunday. not a single one of our families or anyone on the street viewed Halloween as "evil". perhaps this is a new concept, much like the Christmas is only for Christians concept? 

your SIL seems like she takes her beliefs a bit extremely. i'm glad you take your kids our trick or treating, considering the holiday is really just about dressing up and candy. 

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Ignorance and gullibility. If she has a facebook account she is one of those that posts every liitle fake "OMG did you know" this post that goes around like the current one (rehashed for the 43rd frickin time) of how "Facebook is going to start charging" even though it is completely bogus and has been going around with every change the site makes since the site began.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Halloween, or "all saint's day" as it used to be called, was originally a pagan holiday where they worshipped dead ancestors. All kinds of satanic rituals and even sacrifices were done on this day. It's become more "innocent" now, but now you know why halloween is decorated with witches and ghosts. I think there are other good reasons not to let young children wander the streets late at night asking strangers for candy (I know, many parents don't let their kids out alone, and that's great!), but that's my conviction and I think everyone makes their own choice. I can see how it would be fun for children. Your sister sounds a lot like some people I know. Funny thing is, I agree with a lot of what you said she believes, but my life is so full of good things that I don't feel like it's all about "don't do this," "Don't do that" and definitely not about accusing other people of sinning if they do it! It just works for me. :)
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 9:58 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• I love the idea of candy and kids dressing up. Would it be Halloween without witches, goblins, monsters, skeletons and the like? I think that is why some object. I am not into skeletons. Don't know why people love them. My mother died recently. Sorry but I don't like to see them of the baby diaper bag, the belt, the teen shirt or a three year old's purse. That is just me.
    grannywilson

Answer by grannywilson at 10:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Some early inceptions of what became the current holiday were celebrated by pagans as harvest celebrations. One notable example is Samhain, a Celtic harvest festival falling on what is also known as All Saints day in the Catholic church (November 1st). Samhain is also celebrated by those in Wiccan culture, and because of the unfortunate wrongful association of Wicca & demon worship, Halloween got roped in to the list of 'no-nos' by several religious factions. The imagery that was once a means to ward off evil (jack-o-lanterns) is now seen as evil itself despite history to the contrary.
    EdwinsMommy

Answer by EdwinsMommy at 10:03 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• Honestly, it's all about what you do personally. If you're dressing your kids up as superheroes and in cutesy outfits and walking them around to go get candy then that's fine. There's no big deal. If you're letting your kids run around and do whatever and get in mischief dressed as demons and praying to satan then not only are you making it a sinful holiday, you are being a crappy parent. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for letting your kids take one year a day to dress up and get treats.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 10:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• If your sister in law attends a Protestant church, she and you may be enlightened to know that Martin Luther posted his 99? thesis on the front door of a famous cathedral Oct. 31. This detailed his scriptural arguments against the Roman Catholic church of his time. Thus began the Protestant revolution.
    CoffeeWriter

Answer by CoffeeWriter at 10:31 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• I've been waiting for these threads to begin... before it's over, I'm sure I'll have my two bits in the pot.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:46 PM on Sep. 25, 2011

• I've been waiting for these threads to begin..--

i'm surprised it hadn't happened already...*yawn*..just handover the snicker's bite-size, and i'll keep my two bits to myself.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:56 PM on Sep. 25, 2011