Are there any freecyclers disappointed with the whole experience?

As in rude freecyclers, people who feel they are entitled, people not showing up (come on your getting the stuff for free!), etc.? A lot of the time I am just throwing stiff out because some one does not show up or it winds up being more of an effort to keep the item out of a landfill then it is to freecycle it. I do donate to thrift shops, but, they too throw away items that could be used if they feel it will not sell.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• i have had a ton of stuff that i put on and never got rid of the stuff. it had to be thrown away.good stuff to give away.lots of responses but i would get the story "ill be there tomarrow"and tomarrow never comes
    angelwings3116

Answer by angelwings3116 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I tried to participate in my local freecycle and had to complete an application to get a log-in, etc. I was never contacted with any information. So, yeah, I think it sucks.
    Anonymous

• I have heard of it happening that people make arrangements and then don't show up. My only experience was a lady wanted a kitchen table. I have a very nice one that I wanted to get rid of, only she wouldn't take it without the chairs and we needed the chairs. I thought as you did, hey if's free. As it turns out, when we remodeled the kitchen there was a perfect place for it, so I'm glad I didn't give it away after all.

Answer by Bmat at 4:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have had more no shows than I can count. it is insane.

That is crazy about the table! Glad you were able to repurpose it after your remodel.
    Anonymous

• I dont like it anymore but 2 years ago when i had my son i got a brand new crib from them
    Anonymous

• I have found it to be great! I have gotten some much needed items and was able to give away a TON of crap I no longer needed. I go to them - just for privacy and to make sure it DOES go!! The last person I gave all my kids clothes they didn't need, blankets, sheet sets, toys no longer played with to a single mom. She only asked for blankets and had 5 kids, so I asked if she could use some clothes. Then I bought her a few groceries as well. She cried when I showed up with a van stuffed front to back with bags of things for her. That was MY Christmas present this year. Making a mom and her kids happy.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We've had pretty good luck with freecycle. We've only had one no-show. I donate most stuff the the thrift shop, but there is stuff they won't take. We just had a guy come take our old, non-working water heater. We were actually grateful, because the dump is 45 miles away and charges $20 to dump a water heater!

I get bugged by the people requesting name-brand (expensive) stuff and putting "in like-new condition" on their request, or people requesting things like working gaming systems. If I had a working gaming system, why in the world would I be giving it away? LOL
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• babylove76 ...that is so sweet. you are a wonderful person.
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes, asking for an X-Box, laptop computer, or even a car irks me, too. Logically, who is going to give these away?
    Anonymous

• Bablylove76 that was nice. I mostly give away clothes I feel like I do spring cleaning every month. I received stuff as well so I think its good to have this in my community. As far as no shows go I had ppl pick up the same day or the next day.
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 7:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009