Shoud we stop helping them or what?

Everytime my sister has a mechanical problem at her rented house, or with her 10 year old car that she still pays payments on, she calls us my husband is very handy and can fix most anything. In fact he rewired their rented house "electrical panel" 2 days before Christmas last year when it blew up, gave him nothing, no pay etc. ( in my opionion I think they should have told the landlord to pay for it, or deducted it from their rent and given it to huby. We are good family and try to show them what family is about " they are both older than us and have 3 young adult children. We have 2 small children. We do not stuggle at all. They do stupid illegal choices

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• But from a moral standpoint you may want to limit the kind of assistance you're giving them. Instead lend them your support and offer what resources you can but don't jump up everytime he calls in crisis. You know the "Give a man a fish he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish he can eat for life." saying?
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 5:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I say keep helping, but mention your thoughts to her. Maybe something about you dont mind helping, but that you should not be the first person to call, and then do not drop everything to run over there, make it when it is good for you just as you would any other customer. I am the first to admit that when I have a problem that hubby cant fix the first person I call is my BIL who owns his own handyman service, and I expect him to come out and do it for free. I will pay for the parts but not the labor, i expect a thank you to be enough. however, when I call he does not drop what he is doing or come rushing over, he gets here when he gets here which is the price I pay for it being free.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 5:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No, keep helping them. It's incredible that they don't offer him some kind of payment, even a meal at a restaurant or something. But he should help family without payment. which doesn't mean that they shouldn't offer.

Answer by Bmat at 5:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't want to keep helping them if they were my family. They need to grow up sometime.
    Anonymous

• They need to learn to stand on their own feet. You're enabling them by always helping, if you were to move, what would they do then?
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Stop helping now!

And not because it's doing her bad but because it's illegal! Since she's renting, she ought to be going through her landlord to get things fixed. Your husband could be put in jail by fixing things there. So unless the landlord has given the explicit ok there could be a problem. I rent too (fortunately from my mother) and she made me aware of this when I had someone else look at our air conditioner. Normally my stepdad fixes everything but he'd been busy around that time and I didn't want to bother him. We had a friend of BFs family look at it and fortunately although my mom was angry she didn't go further with it because we didn't know.

madamekatekate

• They need to have the landlord do it. They can get in trouble for taking care of it on their own. Also, they should offer to pay. Electricians are expensive! You don't have to be available every time they call.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Only a home owner can do electrical wiring unless they are a liscened electrichian, The same with plumbing, I think. Your husband may be very good at what he does but he needs to be careful. If there were an electrical short or fire, would they blame it on your husband or accept the responsibility for it. The landlord needs to see the wiring and OK it.. Cover yourself.

seasidegrandma

Answer by seasidegrandma at 5:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Y'all need to learn to say no
    Anonymous

• stop-you aren't helping them-and they know they are taking advantage.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009