Home remedies for a sinus infection

I developed a cold right before Christmas and now it has developed into a sinus infection. I don't get paid till next week so I don't have the money to go to the doctor and get a prescription. I cant take the over the counter stuff like benadryl cause it makes me super sleepy and I have a 4 month old to take care of. I've done the nose sprays,tea,hot showers an such for relief. Dose anyone know of a home remedy to help me get over this ?

HeartsNRoses

Asked by HeartsNRoses at 4:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Health

• sinus rinses work wonders for me. you should be able to pick up the whole kit at walgreens or walmart for less than $10. they flush everything out with a saline rinse. they are great. i'm not talking about nasal sprays either.
    Anonymous

• Salt in boiling water. Once you have it boiling, either put it beside you or breathe in the vapors.. After you take a hot shower, also clear your nose. That helps. When you go tosleep at night, put hot water beside your bed so you will have moisture in the air. The reason I know this is because it works for me. I am not saying it will work for you, but, it does help me.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Try a neti pot, it works great! (just do a google search for neti pot and tons of info will pop up)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Save some money by making your own saline rinse. Put about a half teaspoon of non-iodized salt or kosher salt in a cup of warm water. Bend over the sink, hold one nostril, and sniff it up then spit it out, repeat with the other nostril and repeat until it is all used up. You can gargle with it, too. I paid about $15 for a netipot that came with little packets, and it works well, too. You lean over the sink, turn your head sideways and put the tip of the pot against your nostril and pour the solution (salt and baking soda and water) into your nose and let it run out of the other nostril. But the free (except for the cost of the salt) works well, too.

Answer by Bmat at 5:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Vitamin D works wonders!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Go get some Organic Apple Cider Vinegar!!!

It doesn't cost that much, I got a huge bottle for $5. I had a sinus infection...I drank a small shot of the Vinegar (followed by water) in the morning, then again at night. I got immediate relief, I continued to drink the shots for about 3 days. I think it worked wonders. It's also good for other things as well. Just google it.
    Good luck!
    emf6874

Answer by emf6874 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009