Food Question

I have started my daughter on fruits but my husband is allergic to bannanas and I wonder if I should hold off on giving them to her since hes allergic. Has anyone else had this kind of problem...what did you do?? Thanks for the help

MommytoBe987

Asked by MommytoBe987 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my husband is allergic to peanuts, but my daughter isnt.

you should just try it. you wont figure it out if u wont try it. unless you go to the ped. and get an allergy test done.
    just because the daddy has it, doesnt mean the baby has it too. but yes of course the risk to get an allergy too is higher.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Give it a try and look for a reaction. If nervous, then wait until she's a little older or talk to the doctor and see what he says! (probably the better idea)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The tendency to become allergic is hereditary, specific allergies aren't. That means that because there is a family history of allergies, she's likely to become allergic to something, bananas are pretty low on the list of things she's likely to become allergic to though. Unless your husbands' allergy is so severe that he could react from the bananas that will inevitably end up on her, I'd go ahead and do it.
    Anonymous

• I think that you should wait and talk to the Dr about it to make sure it is ok. My daughter is allergic to strawberrys and mango there are 5 other people on my boyfriends side of the family that are allergic to that.
    Anonymous

• You won't know until you try it, my husband is allergic to pineapple but none of my kids are, there is a good chance your daughter won't be allergic to bananas.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Hold off! It doesn't mean you can never give them, but the chance she is allergic also is much higher than if there wasn't a family history. I would wait until she is at least 1 year...
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2009