For Catholics- about praying to Saint Gerard.

Does it work? Any moms do this and get preggo and deliver without complications?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Catholics believe that those in heaven are alive in Christ and remain part of God's one family. So just like we'd ask someone here on earth to pray for us we can ask those in heaven to pray for us.
    So praying to St. Gerard about a pregnancy is just asking someone here on earth to pray for us about a pregnancy. And remember the bible tells us the prayers of the righteous are answered (Proverbs 15:29, James 5:16). The saints in heaven are surely righteous.

Personally when I was pregnant I asked St. Gerard for his intercessions as well as prayed to God (and asked family and friends to pray for me) and had 3 healthy pregnancy and births.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You should pray to God, and GOD ALONE..No Saint or person will give or get you anything. God is just and if he feels that you should deliever without complications then that is HIS decision, not some stupid Saint...
    Anonymous

• Asking a saint to pray for you is not stupid- its just an extra boost of encourangement and an extra person to pray for you. Catholics don't pray TO saints, they just ask them to pray FOR them. Just like people ask other people to pray for them (which is not stupid, either- it gives people hope). So someone would ask St. Gerard to pray for them to get pregnant etc.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Aon 627 pm, are you Catholic? I do not think you are. Catholic understand the purpose of Saints. I am looking for CATHOLICS that have prayed to Saint Gerard for devine intervention. I would like to know if it worked for them. Thanks OP.
    Anonymous

• ps- Anon 627 pm- Saints are not stupid and to many that is an offensive comment. Saints are servants of God that help in his devine plan.
    Anonymous

• Im sorry that some may find it "offensive" to say that, but in my opinion it is..You should go straight to God and ask him for guidance. Saints are people...dead people...how are they of any good? I know plenty of Catholics...And you can quote me Bible verses ALL DAY LONG, its not going to change my mind on anything of the CAtholic religion...sorry. God is the answer..not a Saint.
    Anonymous

• My MIL did when both my SIL and I were pregnant on our behalf's. Both of us had healthy pregnancy's and births!
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I know plenty of Catholics...And you can quote me Bible verses ALL DAY LONG, its not going to change my mind on anything of the Catholic religion...sorry. God is the answer..not a Saint.

Knowing plenty of Catholics, does not make you Catholic.

Thank you to those that responded about the actual context of the question. St. Gerard's Feast Day is October 16th and his Shrine in Newark, New Jersey which contains relics of him. If you are of the Catholic persuasion and believe in the power of Saints, he is the patron Saint of Motherhood (easy delievery, pregnancy).

Anonymous

• Anon 9:49- do you ask people to pray for you? Do you ask your friends, family and church members to pray for you? Asking a saint to pray for you is the SAME THING. They do go directly to god, but they also ask saints to pray for them- just as they would ask a friend to pray for them.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 11:10 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The bible says that ANY prayer prayed to anyone but God falls on deaf ears. But every religion changes the bible to fit their belif system which is why I don't believe in religion at all. I believe in God and that's all I need. I think religion just confuses you and causes seperation in the human race. It's sad really.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009