How much spit-up is "normal"? (Bottle-fed baby)

DD2 (10 days old) is not a big burper...no matter how we try during or after a feeding, getting a burp out of her is nearly impossible. She does, however, spit up like clockwork. Within a few minutes after finishing a meal, she kind of pours down the front of her outfit. It's enough that it continues for a few seconds and warrants an outfit change if I don't catch most of it with a rag. How much is too much? :-/ Should I be concerned that the formula she's on is not agreeing with her?

She is already on Similac Sensitive, so the only change that might benefit her is going to a completely soy-based formula?

She seems happy and healthy, and her cheeks are chubby as ever. Lol. But my first never spit up this much, so I'm just wondering when I should be concerned.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would contact her doc tomarrow and tell him what is going on... usually it is because of the formula that the baby is drinking... my son did that alot and they changed his and now he doesnt do it anymore... but it could be something else as well... but i would call him and tell him about it so that he might be able to help you better than we could...
    Anonymous

• could be gas .....my dd had terrible gas she did not spit up but cried and cried and she was a horrible burper.  .we switched to dr browns and she was much much better ..I hear platex drop ins are good too.........maybe ask your dr.I would not keep switching formula without asking the dr.it could irritate them as well.oh and soy is usually for lactose intolerant babies or veggie babies.......ask the dr...............she could be drinking to fast are you using the smallest nipples? GL:)

PrincessRoo

Answer by PrincessRoo at 5:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Thanks guys. She has a dr appt coming up in a few days so I think I will hang tight until then, and see if the spit-up continues to be as bad. I definitely don't want to try switching formula on her unless the dr recommends it. Thx again!
    Anonymous

• If she's spitting up an ounce, feed her an ounce less. Feed her a smaller amount more often. Try to make sure you try to burp her after ever couple of ounces.

Um....make her bottles ahead of time so there is time for the air bubbles to dissipate.

Keep her upright for at least 20 minutes after a feeding.

Wait and see what the doctor says...but try to gauge how much she is spitting up so you can tell him.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Some spit up is normal and some babies spit up more than others. Like a pp said, I would try to gauge how much she is spitting up. If it is most of her bottle then the formula is not agreeing with her. If it is just a bit and she isn't uncomfortable after spitting up (reflux), then I would continue to try and burp her well. I would also stock up on some bibs and keep on one her after she eats. My daughter spits up a lot and I have just learned to keep her in a bib most of the day. Most babies out grow spitting up by the time they sitting on their own. Good luck!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would contact her doctor to be on the safe side but my daughter did this and the doctor told me as long as she was gaining weight she would be fine and would eventually outgrow it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009