How to breastfeed

Ok, the title is a little off.. but here's the basic. My sister is wanting to know how to BF.. she is not pregnant and is adopting a newborn.. and would like to BF the child. There are studies out there that say this will work.. but we are trying to find information on it.. if you know where to look I would greatly be appreciated. Thank you

Lovingmomma2

Asked by Lovingmomma2 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Adoption

• they say that it will work but i have known many people who have tried and it didnt work.... but u have to pump every 2 hrs on the dot.... take mothers milk tea and alfefa pills... also contact who ever the babies pedi will be and tell them and he will prosribe a med that will help also.... but make sure u pump every 2 hrs..
    Anonymous

• Tell her to consult a Lactation Consultant and to start pumping now. There are herbs she can take (the names escape me at the moment.) 

How wonder she is going to BF that new baby! 

Also, depending how open the adoption is, have her ask the birthmother if she's willing to nurse in the hospital (for the colostrum) and pump some to supliment untill the adoptive mom's milk comes in.  (That's what we did 6 yrs ago when I place a little girl for adoption.)

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• here is a good website
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBadoptive.html

hope that helps
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Congratulations to her! I hope it works out and she is able to BF. My tiniest baby was four months when he got home, so I never had the opportunity and it makes me sad.
    joy2bamom

Answer by joy2bamom at 6:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Good luck to your sister, what a wonderful thing to do!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• she could look into supplemental nursing system. If she is unable to produce breast milk, she can uset his to feed the child formula, but still from the breast. I don't know a lot about it, you can google it.
    shanamarie

Answer by shanamarie at 6:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

Best of luck to her.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 7:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Definately discuss this with the emom, I take it she does not have the child adopted yet? Always be up front and honest with the Firstmom( whom is only a Firstmom/bmom AFTER she relinquishes. Have sis keep this in mind, in case emom decides to parent. Best of luck to you and sis...and of course the new addition to the family. Congrats and Blessings! C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 11:58 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• thats ridiciolus
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on Jan. 8, 2009