Do you believe that a transgender from male to female can be called a mom?

This discussion came up with friends. We all had different opinions. My argument was that it doesn't matter if you were a man and became a woman, it is the love,nurture,home and raising that you give a child.

It is no different than a woman who adopts. She might physically be a woman, but it is not her child. It again is the love, nurture, home and raising that you give a child.

It has been on my mind for awhile and I am just curious to what you think?

kscmbz

Asked by kscmbz at 5:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that as long as a child is loved and cared for it does not matter. There are so many children that are not loved and cared for by their parents or their mothers. IF someone has a child, not matter how they get the child, as long as they are taking care of it and loving it then they can be called mother.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I agree.....if you mother someone, then you can be called a mother, no matter what gender you were born as.
    piggyfairy

Answer by piggyfairy at 5:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• OMB! I think that thing with the man being preg is gross!! People keep saying that a man is having a baby, but he's not a man he is still a women inside. God didn't make men to have babies, thats what the women are for. It's not ok and it is disgusting.

determind

Answer by determind at 5:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• But that was a transgender female to male that still had her female organs to give birth. She is his father. I should say he is his father. He made that clear. And again, it is the love you give a child not the birthing canal.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 6:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't know what I think . . . I guess I just think it's weird and wonder how the kid will explain things to his/her friends and if the child will be teased.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yeah, I suppose so.
    What I thought was stupid was that in the recent big transgender story (the couple having a baby), Oprah and the media and all of that were declaring "Pregnant Man!!!" I thought, "Huh? How does that work?" and watched the show... and in NO way is that a pregnant man. Just ridiculous. If I chopped off my hair and banded my breasts and took some testosterone to grow facial hair, could I be a pregnant man too? Could my husband and I have raked in dough from going on TV and soliciting charity? Ugg. I know that's not directly related to this question, but since we're talking nontraditional semantics... just had to vent about that! What a farse!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Nope! The term mother is literal for a woman. If a man nurtures, he's called father. If you were born with a penis... you are a father.
    girlletmetellu

Answer by girlletmetellu at 7:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• SFWILSON... i know what you mean. I was perplexed too and watched the show. He was not a man. He had a vagina which means he didn't fully convert. False advertisement!
    girlletmetellu

Answer by girlletmetellu at 7:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• SHE is not that baby's father she is the child's birth mother and it says that on the birth certificate. Those two weirdos are going to have to explain a lot to those poor children.

OP: I don't know, I guess she would be a called a mother as long as she wasn't the father and its on the BC as the father.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• yes- if they are now legally a woman, she is the mother no matter what she was previously. Thats why they kept saying "pregnant man"- because he is legally a man.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2009