My son is 20 lbs and is 7 months old, everyone that sees him says, "Oh! your such a fatty." when we were at the doc last he never said he was FAT!!! So my question is: IS 20 lbs fat for his age?

jaydna

Asked by jaydna at 8:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is nine months and 15 pounds. But she is small. She was a preemie. Yours seems about average i think.
    bbkatelyn

Answer by bbkatelyn at 8:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My son was 18 lbs when he was 4 months old! He was born big though, you probably just have a big healthy baby, nothing wrong with that! I got sick of people telling me my baby was fat, I prefer healthy : )
    kyuteangl88

Answer by kyuteangl88 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• He's in the 66th percentile. That means that 66 percent of babies his age weigh less than him. If he's short for his age, he may look extra chubby.
    If his doctor didn't say anything, try to ignore them. He'll thin out a lot with crawling and walking.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• my daughter was like 18 pounds at 6 months so i think that sounds alright..all babys just grow at different levels its not saying there to fat or to skinny..i mean sometimes yeah but not really in the longterm of life..
    jaelynsmama07

Answer by jaelynsmama07 at 8:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• my son is 7months old and when we took his to his 6months checkup he weigth 18lbs but now we think he weight alittle bit more that. my son is chunky but not fat and i think it's wrong for someone to say that to your or your child
    LoriAnn87

Answer by LoriAnn87 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think most people say this because a chubby baby is a cute baby! All of mine were called chubby and fat but they have grown to be in excellent proportion. Don't worry too much about it...
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 8:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My son is 20lbs at 7 months My doctor said that cant be over weight and not to worry about that untill the age of 2.. I think your baby is fine.. My son got sick with a virus and lost a little weight. So its good to have extra weight. and for when the run around and stuff when they older
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 8:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• no my baby is 3 1/2 months and she is 17 pounds and the doc says shes perfect
    marianarebecca

Answer by marianarebecca at 9:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• it also goes more by height weight ratio than just the weight, how long is he, my daughter was about that weight at 7mths but she was 30 inches long so my Dr was never worried he said she was also tall so well proportioned, I think if your Dr never mentioned anyuthign about his weight they are prob not concerned about it and must think he is healthy and doing well
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My DS is 8 months old and weighs 23 pounds. He is really long though. wouldnt u rather have a HEALTHY looking baby than a frail teeny tiny baby?!?!
    trentntats

Answer by trentntats at 11:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2008