acid reflux

the doc gave my lil girl zantac..she has been spttin up like crazy and when she does she cries at the top of her lungs and her breath stinks really bad...they have had her on good start soy,similac senstive,simliac rs and now simliac alimentum...the smiliac rs is for less spit up but she did very bad on it...has neone else kids been on zantac..she is 2 months by the way..when she spits up we have to change the outfit n its quite a bit...im usin the dr brown bottles but dont seem 2 b doin ne good and keepin her upright she dont even sleep layin down...and i burp her every ounce...how long does acid reflux last?nething else i can do for it?i was usin rice cereal but stopped cus it wasnt doin ne good ne other opions?

N pls noone going on and on about dont use cereal she is 2 young ive talked 2 serverl ppl n ped and they said it was ok...but im no longer using it neways

Brinkleysmommy1

Asked by Brinkleysmommy1 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Now that u have stopped the cereal she should get better in a couple months. Sorry u said not to mention it but that really could have made it worse. My friends son had reflux and it lasted about 4 months. Just make sure to keep doing what you are doing and giving her the meds everyday as they build up in her system to block the acid from even forming.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My daughter had the same problem. They put her on zantac (which i felt like a MONSTER giving it to her.. have you ever tasted that crap!? LOL) and on the alimentum formula. After about a week on the new med and formula she got a lot better.

Also put a pillow under her crib mattress. it will elevate her just slightly so it wont make her uncomfy, but still keeps her not flat on her back.
    Brandie_xo

Answer by Brandie_xo at 6:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Most babies grow out of it around age one, give or take six months or more either way. My daughter had severe reflux and grew out of it at age 18 months. The Zantac helped with the pain but not the spitting. Prilosec is a stronger drug, and helped us immensely with both the pain and the spitting. If she is not getting better on the Zantac, call your pediatrician. Our daughter kept getting worse, and the older she got and more solid foods she ate, the more she spit up. Try propping her mattress with some folded towels and swaddling her for sleeping. A tight swaddle worked wonders for us.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Has your doctor tried a new medication?
    -Omeprazole is a good one
    there are bunch of other ones... I would talk to your doctor about changing the medication or adding an additional one
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My daughter had super bad refulx when she was little. She was on Zantac and Precacid. The Zantac did not work by its self. The Zantac only helps the acid from burning, the Prevacid helps reduce the acid in the stomach. My daughter stayed on soy milk until she was 12 months old. I did give her cereal in her bottle the entire time, it did help her. We would go through about 10 or more outfits in a day. She's 16 months old now and she still sometimes has acid refulx. It's 100% better than it was.... Good luck, hope your little one gets to feeling better soon.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 7:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Have you ever heard of Prilosec? My doctor put my baby on Reglan and Zantac but it totally did not work so she sent me to a gastrointestinal specialist and they prescribed Prilosec and also kept him on Reglan. The thing is the pharmacies say that insurances can't cover it so you'll have to pay 100%. One place was for $105 and another just $40 so make sure you shop around. It has to be compounded too. My son hasn't stopped throwing up but he isn't throwing up EVERY bottle anymore. He's on Alimentum with cereal too. Ask your doctor about Prilosec. Good luck!
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 7:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• This happened with my daughter. I was feeding her too much. The doctor told me how much and said no more than that and she was fine. I guess there is reason to believe it's acid reflux but I wanted to mention this because she was ok if I held her again me while I was sitting up but she cried if I laid her down. She would eat if I fed her though. It was a vicious cycle. I can't remember exactly, the number of ounces but someone here would know what is good or google it if you think it might help.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If the medicine doesn't seem to be working MENTION IT TO HER PEDI... I did around 6 weeks and they switched her to PREVACID!! and she told me to start putting cereal in her bottle.. I have to say I SEE A DRASTIC IMPROVEMENT ALREADY and SHE HAS ONLY BEEN ON THE MED and CEREAL FOR A COUPLE DAYS :) !! good luck reflux IS NO FUN
    Dylansmommy2006

Answer by Dylansmommy2006 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son has it and I consulted a ped at 2 mos. I decided not to do anything and just wash extra laundry because they said the medication given to him would reduce his vitamin absorption...his 4 mo check up we had a diff doc we are now giving him zantac and he is bf. I asked about the vitamin absorption and she said it's only iron that they will have trouble absorbing...so i've been giving him vitamin drops to make up for it.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Our doc said most pharmacies don't make a baby version of zantac so they get the adult form in drops unless you specify it. We had her order the baby kind and they gave it a nice cherry flavor and he loves it. The vits on the other hand....he hates. I have given him milk in a bottle and I use playtex drop ins and I love them. I push out all the extra air before giving it to him. It took about 2 weeks for the medications to work but he is doing great and she said by 6 mos he should have grown out of it. PM me if u need anything else.
    britni11