My son is 18 months old and he isnt really talking. What can I do to get him to talk?

He says bye bye, baby, and yeah but nothing else. Me and is father sit down and tey to teach him but he gets upset and runs off. Ive read that the pacifire is why his not talking but I don't know if that could be the only reason.

Threej

Asked by Threej at 6:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't worry he'll start picking up words here and there, don't push him it might be too much for him to handle. All babies develop on their own speed and pace.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 6:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You should be able to take him for an evaluation by a speech pathologist for free. Look up Child Find in your area. If he's found to need services, you should be able to receive those free as well.

Also, don't "sit down and try to teach him." He's way too young for anything like that. Just use every moment as a teaching experience. For instance, if he's playing with his ball, say "You have the ball! It's a big blue ball! You're rolling it. Roll it to mommy." Or if he says "dog," say, "Yes, it's a dog! It's a little dog. The dog is running. Dogs say woof!" You get the idea.

Good luck!
    boystimes2

Answer by boystimes2 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Nah, he will talk when he is ready. My cousin didnt say a word until he was almost 3. If youre really concerned you can speak with his doctor, but i really wouldn't worry about it.
    Brandie_xo

Answer by Brandie_xo at 6:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• don't worry my son is the same age and he does not talk that much. But I do talk to him and point out everything every time i am with him .
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 6:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• don't know where you read it's the pacifires fault, because i completely disagree, my son still has his paci, and talks very well, he always did though, as soon as he could make noises... he does so, as for encourageing your son to talk, i would continue talking to him, giving him words to say, having conversations... even if it's something like you say "what are you playing with" and he just shows you then talk to him as if he answered you "oh is that a ball" things like that get them interested... and remember allot of babys wont do it, refuse to do it, you think they can't do it... then one day they're acting like they've been doing it for years.... (even if they haven't been around for that many years) =)
    Ethansmommy_3tg

Answer by Ethansmommy_3tg at 8:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son didn't say anything at that age. He got towards 20 months and wasn't saying much and we started wondering when he would talk. Then he hit 22 months and finally started speaking and gesturing more. Now he's 26 months and is talking alot more, so much that I'm not concerned at all. He also has a paci and ppl try to tell you all the time that it will make him not talk, but I know my child and I know he only gets a paci when he's sleeping. Also, your child is still young so you should expect him not to talk too much right now. Sure some kids talk way before this, but many don't; and each child is different. As long as everything else is progressing and he can understand what you say to him, I say just wait it out till he's 2 and see how he's doing then. Then call speech evaluation if you think he's behind.

Elizabeth1015

Answer by Elizabeth1015 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son is 2 1/2 and has just started really talking more in the last 2 months. As long as he is saying some words and you know he can hear you when you talk to him, I would give him a little more time and see if his speech develops more.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have heard that boys are slower to speak. But I would suggest reading to him a lot, and talking to him when doing daily things. With our daughter when we are out I kind of give her a step by step of what's going on, things like, Ok Ameri mommy is going to put you in the car and we are going to go to the store etc. But if you are really worried about it talk to his pediatrician about it :D. Kids all develop differently though!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 9:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I really don't think you should ignore this. I don't think you should necessarily be alarmed, but it really may help to get him evaluated. (Not be worried about it, just to go see.) If it does turn out that he needs therapy, it is much better for them to start early than wait until later. And it may totally not be a problem, in which case, you'll know that too and feel better!
    boystimes2

Answer by boystimes2 at 10:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2009