Neighbor's smoke is getting in my garage; should I talk with them?

I love the street I live on, I think the neighbors are great.....in fact, I used to move every year because I was never happy where I was.....I've lived here 2 years now.

Like I said, my neighbors are great....except.....since it's been colder, they have been smoking in their garage.....which is connected to my garage......and mine smells like cigarettes and I can't stand the smell of it.

Should I talk with them, write a note, ignore it? I don't want my stuff smelling like cigs.....I quit smoking in 2004 and now I hate the smell.....

piggyfairy

Asked by piggyfairy at 6:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Health

• Can you open your garage door and let your stuff air out every once in a while. I'm assuming that you use your garage for your car, storage and maybe washer / dryer. I'd say something to them, but it's one of those things that may not be worth making a big issue out of. I suggest being carful how you word it so you don't come across as rude or offensive, but it can't hurt to mention it to them.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 6:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'd probably let them overhear me saying something to my hubby along the line of "Oh my gosh, are you SMOKING in here?? It reaks!!" and hope they get the hint :)
    Anonymous

• I would just let it slide honestly. You can't expect them to smoke outside in the cold. I would open your garage to air it out.
    Anonymous

• Although you can't expect them to smoke outside, you shouldn't have to smell the second hand smoke.

I would talk to them. You don't have to be rude, just come to some kind of compromise with them. It is better to air out a grievance before it becomes a war.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• LOL no car, no hubby. The garage is used for all their outdoor toys, washer/dryer, our bikes, stuff like that. The door is always open....not the big door that you would take a car out of, I couldn't leave that open.....but the door from my back yard to the garage is always open so it has plenty of opp to air out....but it reeks! What if I wanted to hang my clothes in there?

No, I can't expect them to smoke outside....but I could expect them to use sense and courtesy, and recognize on their own that our garages are attached.
    I hate confrontation....and I can't think of a way to bring it up without sounding like a butthead.

I guess if it keeps being an issue I'll find some way to bring it up....any suggestions?
    piggyfairy

Answer by piggyfairy at 12:29 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Eww did I mention storage? Yes, all my boxes....bikes....toys....pool....when I bring that stuff out to use it I expect to wipe off dust.....NOT smoke residue.
    piggyfairy

Answer by piggyfairy at 12:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009