Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birth Certificate Question

Does anyone know about a 2 year statute of limitations for changing a birth certificate? I was told that if the father does not put his name on the birth certificate by the time the child is 2, then his name will not be added. Is that true?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (4)
  • No, that's not true. If they are proven to be the father, they can be added on at any time.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • It may depend on the state in which you live in. I think that at any given time both parents can go down there and add the name on the birth certificate. Just note that once both names are on there both have parental rights to the child and need each others signatures to change the birth certificate or name of child for any reasons.

    Answer by bubblycute at 6:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • MIL changed my husband's name and father on his when he was five. (long story and it still doesn't make sense except in her twisted little mind)

    Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • I don't know where you live, but here if a man is proven to be the father no matter how many years it's been, not only will his name be added to the birth certificate, but the child's last name may be changed. My sister faced this with her oldest daughter, but fortunately the dad wasn't intersted in changing her last name.

    Answer by AngieG. at 11:29 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.