Breastfeed or not?

im 4 months exactly away from my due date and im starting to think of weather i should breast feed or not. I really have my heart set on not breastfeeding but something about not wanting to makes me feel selfish, what are some pro and cons, also what did you choose & how did you feel about your choice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm so glad I did it.

cons: time consuming, painful at first
    pros: just great bonding, free milk, convenient, doctor-recommended

It was hard at first: my little one had a hard time latching on and holy beans my nipples hurt (and they cracked and bled and ooh! That was no fun. But, just like my sister told me, by a few weeks old, she was latching well, my nipples were fine, and I was very much enjoying breastfeeding.
    That said, if you really don't want to- you probably won't. Even a lot of ladies I know who really wanted to couldn't get through the "baptism by fire" of the beginning of nursing. It is tough at first, really and truly. But once you get through that, it's great.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I breastfed, it didn't end up being as easy for me as I expected but we worked it out. It was definitely convenient and I was disappointed when I had to switch to formula when breastfeeding was causing cramping with my second pregnancy (I have a history of pre-term labor). Hopefully I'll be able to breastfeed longer with this one! I would definitely encourage you to give breastfeeding a fair chance and try it out =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 6:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• only pros in breastfeeding imo. Its healthier, its an incrediable bonding experience that you could not even believe. Some mom have no problem getting a latch in the beginning, some moms do at first, but after several weeks you get the hang of it. Also in the beginning you may experience soar nipples, but there are things you can do to help it. Check out the group Breastfeeding moms to get more input. you can also messagw me and I can give you a ton of info. Also www.kellymom.com has a tons of ifo as well.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would say the only bad thing is--if your baby refuses a bottle, you stay home or take them with and get used to nursing in public. I didn't mind nip because my baby was happy & content. I don't see how it's any more time consuming then washing, finding pieces, mixing, storing bottles would be. If you co-sleep you don't even have to get out of bed to nurse. It's nature's perfect food and your baby deserves the best.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It takes patience at first. Except if you have a baby like my 3rd son who lached on right away. Maybe it was because I was more relaxed too. If you have your heart set on breastfeeding do it. I love it and it is health for you and your baby. Formula is expensive!!!! Don't beat yourself up if you choose for use formula though. I did with my first son after only 1 month of breastfeeding. I can't think of one con to breasfeeding. It is faster.There is not preparing bottles, washing bottles, losing bottles,ect.
    The cons of formula: Can cause more spitting up, it is costly, time consuming
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I STARTED BF AND THE I STOPPED I WAS SCARED SHE WASNT GETTIN ENOUGH TO EAT AND WAS TENSIN UP...AND NOW IM BOTTLEFEEDING HER AND HONESTLY HUN I CAN SAY ITS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE NOT BF HER I FEEL LIKE IVE LET HER DOWN SO MUCH THE BABY IS SO MUCH MORE HEALTHIER GET SICK LESS AND THE BOND IS WONDERFUL ITS A BOND U HAVE NEVER FELT N UR LIFE!WISH U THE BEST
    Brinkleysmommy1

Answer by Brinkleysmommy1 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Honestly I think everyone should at least give BF a try. Unless you know for a fact you can't BF(which there's very few people out there that can't) I can't see why you wouldn't at least try it and see how it goes. And by try it, I mean, for at least 4 weeks.
    I'll be honest, BF isn't always easy for everyone, in my personal experience it took about 4 weeks for me to feel comfortable with it. I know FF moms get mad when you say this, but it is a fact, breast milk is better than formula(of course, you won't kill your baby if you FF them, but breast milk is better)BF benefits not only the baby, but you as well.....it helps your uterus shrink back to it's normal size, it helps you lose weight and it helps you relax(once you get the hang of it), plus it's free.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I very much wanted to breastfeed. I had my mind made up when I got pregnant... but as soon as he was born, and I tryed to breastfeed, he cryed and cryed and screamed! I tryed the whole hospital stay, talked to two lactation consultants and had four nurses in the room trying to help me and him. He lost weight in the hospital which made me decide to bottlefeed. That made me feel guilty because I wasnt doing what was "right" and "healthy" for my baby. Turns out that formula feeding is easier because your partner can let you sleep and feed the baby. Only problem now is actually getting him to help haha.
    shellxobabie

Answer by shellxobabie at 7:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• BF is sapossed to be better but i don't think you should feel selfish about not wanting to. Just do whatever is right for you.
    Anonymous

• Breastfeeding gives your baby an increased immune system, since they are getting your immunities as well. Only your milk is specially formulated for your baby for the easiest digestion. You can actually sleep more when you breastfeed as apposed to getting bottles ready in the middle of the night. Breastfeeding has great benefits for you as well. Breastfeeding adjusts your body to be able to survive on less sleep, which you need since regardless of the feeding option you choose, your baby isn't going to sleep through the night for some time. Breastfeeding also helps fight ppd and assists in weight loss.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009