What should I do?

I have a 22 month old who isn't really talking. He has been going to speech clinic since the summer but still isn't talking. Since he isn't making much progress, the therapist says she doesn't know what direction to take. He says a few words...mama, bye, go...but he is very inconsistent. Should I just give it more time? Or what? I wonder if being around more children his age would help

MotherofTahj

Asked by MotherofTahj at 6:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would talk to your DR. I know that my middle child did not talk very much when he was that age. He was a very observant child and he was very quiet.

I would also talk to the therapist and see if she thinks that being around other children would help.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'd get a second opinion from another therapist. Sounds like she may not be very experienced, although who knows from your brief description. But it would be worth trying another therapist for a different approach, if possible.
    boystimes2

Answer by boystimes2 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• There can be a lot of reasons for a child to be delayed a bit in speech. I am sure you have already talked to your doctor about it or he wouldn't be in speech therapy. Never hurts to get a second opinion. But I have noticed that kids around other kids to talk a lot faster so getting some social situations happening would be a great idea. First things first, trust your instincts. If you feel that there is something more to it continue to pursue it and get second opinions and third if need be.
    OpalB

Answer by OpalB at 6:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Has his hearing been checked? Sometimes children have trouble learning to speak because they have poor hearing. It sounds like you need a different speech therapist too. Check with your pediatrician for a hearing evaluation and a recommendation on what course of action you should take.

I think that having my daughter in day care has helped with her speech, but not because she's around kids her own age. It's the teachers who are the good influence, because they are always talking and explaining everything that they are doing and what's around them. They also read a lot of stories (as do I at home) and listen to songs with read-along books and the like. I think that kind of interaction has been useful for her. I also notice that whenever we visit with my parents (every few months) she has a verbal explosion, which I attribute to the added effect of having more adults talking with her.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 6:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would get a new therapist. If that person doesn't know what direction to take.... How would you?They are the one who should be helping you. Also get his hearing checked perhaps....
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Definitely something to discuss with the doctor.
    But I did notice with my late speaker that being around other kids helped. At 21 months she was only saying 2 words (mama and dada). She didn't do speech therapy, though. But around that time me and my husband went on vacation and left the kids with his sister and her kids. When we picked her up a week later she knew about 10 new words. I was shocked. She made slow progress but whenever she spent time with kids that weren't her siblings (who reinforced her bad speech and spoke for her most of the time) she would make a jump ahead.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i def. wouldnt give up.... my son is 22 months and never been to speech therapy and is not talking that much....they all do it in their own time.... how is her comprehension? does she understand everything you say? like i said my son doesnt talk but i can say something or ask something and he knows excatly what i am talking about and will answer in his own way
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Look up childhood apraxia of speech (CAS). My DD was diagnosed with this not too long ago and she started seeing a speech therapist who has been trained with it. CAS is caused when the signals between the brain and the mouth muscles are not connecting correctly allowing for the sounds to come out right. When I tell my DD to say something she will "say" it. To her she is saying it just like we are and she doesn't understand why we don't get what she is saying. Sometimes there is a spontaneous healing and they start talking the next day just like you and I. Then there are people who are misdiagnosed because CAS has a lot of the same symptoms as other diseases such as autism. A child with CAS gets very easily frustrated with the people around them because they don't comprehend that what they are saying is coming out wrong.
    takodasmom1117

Answer by takodasmom1117 at 1:32 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I think you need to get a second opinion as well. Have you tried to have him do an evaluation by Sooner Start?
    DanielleLeAnne

Answer by DanielleLeAnne at 8:07 PM on Jan. 7, 2009