Can an umbilical hernia be fixed and will it cause problems with my next pregnancy?

barbgill

Asked by barbgill at 6:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Health

• I would get it fixed before your next pregnancy. I didn't get mine fixed and I was in a TON of pain
    Anonymous

• yes it can be fixed by a simple surgery. If you're not pregnant you should see your doctor and set up the surgery now (it's harmless routine surgery). myself and my brother and sister all had an umbilical hernia. I'm not sure how it would effect a pregnancy, something you should ask your doctor about.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had one and my dr said not to worry about it. I got pregnant again and it didnt bother me. It didnt affect my pregnancy at all. Mine was small though so that was why. After I had my last child & had my tubes tied I had the hernia fixed.

Answer by gemgem at 6:47 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes it can be fixed. its done laparoscopically they make two small incisions one for the laparoscope and the other for the tools to sew you up. They use a mesh materially put it over the weak muscle area and sew it in place. As far as not having the surgery i dont know if that will effect future pregnancies but if you do get the surgery it wont effect future pregnancies. I know becuz i have one and I had a consult about it but Im too afraid to get it fixed, I hate surgery. Just thought I'd help.
    Krystle21

Answer by Krystle21 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009