My baby has sooo much gas ! ( & only poops about once a day)

he is bottle fed with enfamil lipil with iron. the doctor says its normal but hes crying and pushing constantly.

shellxobabie

Asked by shellxobabie at 6:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try simethicone drops...it is safe for infants.Just check w/doc about doses.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Get a second opinion, I dont know much about formulas but I know there are many options to help your little one suffer less if formula is your only option.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 6:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I dont know why your doc is saying its normal either, it is not normal for your baby to have constant gas or any at all.
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 6:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son was BF and he had constant gas. From everything I've read and heard gas is a normal part of the digestion process. Painful gas is another issue. I agree gas drops are very helpful. You could also try switching formula.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• try a peppermint in a warm bottle of water and give that to your child...works like a charm!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When my daughter was tiny she couldn't handle all the iron in the formula. Gave her terrible gas and also constipated her. Maybe a formula with low iron, or even a soy formula
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 7:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• This is kinda hard to explain without showing, but bend his knees in-ward and push. My teacher showed me this since my son had the same problem, when you push in...he should fart lol To that a few times everyday. It really helped me.

youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 8:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son only poops every 2-3 days and is extremely gassy on the other days. He's not in pain, though. It sounds like your guy may be constipated. Did you tell your doctor that your little guy is straining? S/he may recommend something to get things going.

Otherwise, I'd recommend trying gas drops. I'm not a big medicator, but we've become big fans of gas drops (Mylicon seems to be the most popular, but there are other brands that probably work just as well). Follow the dosage on the packaging. It's worth a try, I know it sure saved us on a few uncomfortable nights!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Normal - but I'd give Mylicon gas drops. Gas can be painful.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 8:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My daughter had the same thing so They switched her to Gentlease ( it is for fussines and Gas) More like breast milk ( the protein is partially broken down)
    Dylansmommy2006

Answer by Dylansmommy2006 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009