Do you take religious texts literally?

Which religious text do u read?
Do you take it word for word?
Why or Why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I dont take religious texts word for word because to me, its all written by man. People can say that its God's words etc and it was revealed to a man to write to tell us...But for the most part I dont believe it. I do believe that the texts have good information in them, that we can learn from...but not to be taken literally...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The Bible and various researches on Jesus... and no I do not take the bible literally. Some would say I "pick and choose", but I really don't see it that way. God did not place a written bible in our hands and ask us to pass it along to the world. Men made the bible. Need I say more?
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 6:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think the Bible speaks to each person differently.

Answer by gemgem at 7:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• no
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have read the Bible. I have also read many Buddhist texts and part of the Bhagavad Gita. No, I do not take any religious text literally. There is a Zen saying about not mistaking the finger pointing at the moon for the moon itself. This is how I feel about religious texts, that it is important not to mistake the finger pointing (ie. the teachings or text) for the moon itself (ie. the truth it is attempting to convey.) I know that some religions do stress the idea that followers must accept their holy text as being completely word for word accurate, but I tend to view religious texts as metaphorical in at least some aspects of their being- and this includes texts that I love and read frequently.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have read a good chunk of the Bible and the Book of Mormon and the other mormon scriptures.
    I used to take them seriously, now I do not.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009