how do i break my daughter of a swaddle

my daughter can not sleep without being swaddled, ive tried leaving her arms out, and just taking it away completely. she'll sleep for about 30 minutes then she wakes up. i would love to let her CIO but she doesnt cry, she just lays in her crib and babbles to herself, but she wont sleep! what do i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• just keep swaddling her until she fights you to put it on. there is no specific age not to swaddle and at some point she will grow out of it. I know an 11 month old that is still swaddled. my daughter was swaddled until 5 months, and then she would fight to put it on. i couldn't take it away cold turkey though, because she was having trouble putting herself to sleep even though she didn't want it on. i just loosened it a little each night, then kept her arms out one night and it worked. and just an fyi, two weeks after she was successfully sleeping without a swaddle, she had two nights where shouldn't couldn't fall asleep and i had to swaddle her again for two days, and the she started fighting again so I stopped and that was it. just be patient and don't let anyone tell you that at some specific age you have to stop swaddling unless it is your pediatrician.
    rabbate

Answer by rabbate at 8:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• How old is your daughter? It may be OK for her to still be swaddled. There's no rule that says you have to be done at a certain age.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• How old is she??
    I would just keep swaddeling... just make the swaddle more loose over time until she doesn't need the snug feeling.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• shes six months. im embarssed about that, i feel like a bad mom. ive been trying everything for a few months now.
    Anonymous

• You are in no way shape or form a bad mom because your daughter likes to be swaddled. Wrap her up and let her sleep and be happy! :)

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Just let her stay swaddled. There's really no harm in it. She probably just likes to feel like she's being held. You're not a bad mom. She'll grow out of it eventually....
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Funnily, my 21 month-old daughter was playing and pretending to go to sleep last weekend by spreading her blanket out on the floor, laying down on it, and asking grandma to swaddle her! At 6 months, she was still getting wrapped up for her naps during the day, but we used a sleep sack at night. I agree that you should try loosening the swaddle until it's the cover of a blanket that she needs rather than the tightness. You're hardly a bad mom for doing something that is making your daughter happy!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 7:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• thank you all so much! you have made me feel so much better! I really really appreciate it!
    Anonymous

• My son is almost 6 months and we swaddle him too... I'm not going to worry about it unless he is a toddler and still needing it. (I don't think he will though)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I kept my little ones swaddled until they could get out of it by themselves then I quit because with the two younger ones I found them with it over their heads, that was the end of that.
    sassygoddess

Answer by sassygoddess at 8:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009