Is a disbelief in God/Jesus the same as "turning your back" on him?

This stems from a previous question so I'm wondering if You see a lack of belief in god (due to lack of evidence to convince you) the same as "turning your back" on god? Personally I don't see them as the same because you can't turn your back on something you don't believe in. Turning your back would require a belief in whatever you're turning your back on. I am just curious as to others opinions regarding it.

KristiS11384

Asked by KristiS11384 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• and that, my friend,is where our faith comes in..we believe/accept, even though we can't see it/him. that is the difference/same....i think...to disbelief and 'turning away'. depending on which you are, believer or not, its either the same, or its different. one works on faith, the other on evidence...and it will be this way until the end of time, whichever way that works out.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Its cut and dry really, if you have faith in God then you have faith in God. If you dont believe then you dont believe. I dont see any inbetween. That is kinda being wishy washy to me...
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No I dont think its the same thing.
    One is believing then saying "nope, dont believe it anymore" while the other is simply never believing to begin with. Cant turn your back on something you dont believe or agree with in the first place.

BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 7:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• That is kinda being wishy washy to me...

Exactly! I'm of the "not having faith in god" type. What I want to know is ifothers see this as "turning my back on god" because I don't. I'm just trying to gather a better understanding of OTHER people's views on it.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I think those are the people who "believe" when it's convenient for them. Now I don't believe in anything. But there are those people who "don't believe in god" but suddently if they think something is going to happen to them poof there he is.  Just an example but you know what i mean

smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I dont think its turning your back on God. If you dont believe in God, who are you really turning your back to? kwim??
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No it's not the same.  IMO someone who has turned their back on god is a believer that has become disillusioned with their faith, while a non-believer just doesn't believe there is anything to turn your back on!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Exactly my point. I mean it's one thing to believe in god and go to church every week and then suddenly stop because something bad happens to you and you question "why" god let that happen and say things like "god left me", "I hate god" etc. . It's another to never believe in a god in the first place.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Oh see, everyone gets what I'm saying! That is so cool.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I get what you're saying... metaphorically it's impossible to 'turn away' from something you don't believe in the first place. Like right now I am turning away from the invisible pink unicorn... oh wait, I can't do it. Because it doesn't exist. There is a difference between believing and rejecting as compared to just not believing at all.

That being said I am sure there are some who feel that you are 'choosing' to not believe and in that sense are turning your back on God/Jesus, but personally I see what you're saying and agree with you.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 7:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009