Topics of conversation for 15 yr old's boyfriend?

Ok so she sprung it on me. "can I have a boy to dinner tonight? I thought you'd like to meet him and you know all that before I agree to go out with him or not". Ok ok very considerate and fine but dinner's in about an hour and I honestly don't have a clue what conversations to start. My husband's not going to be much help since he'll probably try and stare him out the whole time! So help, I mean I know we should talk about school and that.. But honestly I'm as scared as he probably is! Any tips?

HNK11

Asked by HNK11 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Well, by now it's probably too late and I hope it went well. Ask about his day; what he's involved in after school and on weekends, any brothers or sisters, how did he spend the holidays, is he working during the school year,how did he and your daughter meet, has he lived in your town all his life. So, he says he is watching football - maybe your hubby can take over! It's definitely tough to converse with teenagers until you know something about them. You daughter could give you a head's up on some of his interests.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 7:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Ask what he's interested in, ask about his family, just do your best to let the conversation flow and encourage him to keep talking once he gets going. Once you hit on a "hot" topic for him you might not be able to shut him up =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 7:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Don't ask too many questions or he'll feel like he's on an interview, but just converse with him like you would any guest . . . hobbies, family, etc.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 7:18 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Um, no idea, lol that's a hard one. Hit up the generic topics, like how he likes school, did he have good holidays, where did he spend them, etc. The more generic stuff you ask, it'll lead to more detailed convo. Like if u get to talking about school, you may discover he plays a sport, then you can talk about some recent games or something along those lines. Good luck!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• lol my fiancee said ask him what he looks for in a girl and if he says personality character he's lying
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 7:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• School, sports or activities he might be into, movies, family, etc. Take the cue from your daughter and all things teen. It's actually quite easy.
    Anonymous

• Well I kn ow this is a little late. I hope dinner went well. I would let you DD and her friend lead the conversations. I have found that kids might start a better conversation so that I can learn more about them.

I would also ask you DD what she would like to talk about. If you make it seem like a test then you might scare the boy away.

Like I said hope it went well and Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• So how did this go?
    Anonymous