Somebody PLEASE tell me how to cope with the whining of a two-year-old. It drives me CRAZY!!!

mlinton87

Asked by mlinton87 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• we tell our two and a half year old daughter not to talk like that and imitate the whining and tell her to talk to a big girl, and give her and example. and after reminding her, we ignore her whining and tell her when you decide to talk like a big girl, i will listen to what you have to say.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 7:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• IGNORE IT! Our 21 month old whines, she gets ignored until she uses her words like a big girl. I think that is why she doesn't whine very much, because she has realized it gets her no where. But if they whine and you give in they go hey that gets mommy to give me what I want and well continue to do it! If my dd starts whining I say we dont whine, use your words like a big girl and then ignore her until she stops. Good luck, whining makes me crazy too!!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Ignore it until they use a nice voice and then pour on the praise.I don't care if that child whines for an hour-say 1 time only"I will talk to you when you use a voice like mommys,thank you" and then go about your day.hang in there mom,it will work.Toddlers are learning to control their enviroment and whining/tantrums/neg behaviors are the best way cuz we get so fed up, we give in.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 9:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• LOL I am with you on this one!! I have twin boys who are just about 2 1/2 and the whining is what drives me nuts the most! We just try and ignore it, that's really the only thing we can do! But, it does seem like if one isn't the other one is, or they are doing it together!!! Everyone keeps telling me it is just a phase and they will get over it!! Let's hope so!!!!!
    veryproudmomma2

Answer by veryproudmomma2 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ugh! I think that if ignoring it is the best policy, I'd better invest in some good ear plugs! HAHA!
    mlinton87

Answer by mlinton87 at 12:39 AM on Jan. 4, 2009