How long did you wait before taking your newborn into public?

My little girl is only 3 days old and I obviously am not going to take her to Walmart or anything any time soon. I've only taken her to see family.

But just how long is long enough to be safe?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 7:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The day I left the hospital we went straight to Wal mart to get formula, diapers and preemie clothes. Then we went to dialysis to see my dad. Then I got a migraine so my parents took my dd to there house so I could get over my migraine.
    With my son it was a week before Christmas, so I only went from the hospital to the babysitters to get my dd, then home. We didn't leave the house for a month with my son b/c I was on bed rest still. So I feel when ever you are ready to go out, go out!
    lighthouse98

Answer by lighthouse98 at 1:24 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I took her out in the public when she was 2 weeks. She went to her doctors a few times before that.
    Anonymous

• With my 2nd DD we didn't go anywhere for a month after she got home from the nicu She was full term but must have gotten some germ from ppl coming to see her at the hospital when she was born.. you can never be so cautious.. Congrats on ur new baby!
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I was a very precautious mother since I was 18 and she was my first baby so I waited like 6-8 weeks lol
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 7:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 2 weeks. :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 7:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Just a few days.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I took my little one to a play at the bible school his brothers went to when he was 4 days old. Other than that, my moms house, and the dr., I waited about 4-6 weeks.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 7:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I didnt know you had your little girl congrats. I took my son out after about 2 weeks cause it was th middle of summer but my daughter was born the day after christmas and i was COLD so I waited about 6 weeks.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 7:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• i had my baby on a sunday took him home on tuesday and he had an appt on Friday. if it wasn' t safe to bring him out then the dr. woul dnot have scheduled himn so soon. Keeping your baby in the house for 6 weeks or 3 months what ever the old folks say is only in the perfect world. For the rest of us theres walgreens. lol
    Queentdi

Answer by Queentdi at 7:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Well with my first i waited about a month because she was sick when born and it was winter and flu season and whatnot!! with my other 2 it was warm out but i still waited a couple weeks just to be safe now im having another in a couple weeks and since its cold out and stuff ill probably wait 3 to 4 weeks til i start toting her around!! CONGRATS ON YOUR NEW BABY!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009