Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if i have not worked all year but had a baby can i still file taxes?

Answer Question

Asked by adainsmommy at 7:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • To my knowledge no.....


    Answer by scaredmommy08 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • i think you have to pay in, to get any money out. And if you don't work, your not paying in. But i'm not an expert on this.

    Answer by FinleyFirst at 7:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • Are you married? Do you live with your baby's father? Someone can claim the baby on their taxes, but it has to be someone that has worked.

    Answer by sassyhettel at 7:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • You cannot file tax's if you didnt pay any tax's.

    Answer by asholan_07 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • You can't file for a return on taxes if you haven't paid any taxes

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • Do you have an interest-earning bank account? Did you collect any kind of money from the state? Child support? If so, you would need to file a return...and don't mix up "return" with "refund." **grin**

    Call an accountant so you know what you really need to do. You can even call good old H&R Block.

    Answer by gdiamante at 7:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • You have to claim wages on your taxes ... if you didn't make any money, you don't have any wages ... but if you are married, your husband can claim your child. Or if you are living with a significant other, who is the baby's father, and he works, he can claim the baby too.

    Answer by ap9902 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

  • if you are collected from welfare or programs like that and you do not have anyone living with you that can claim head of household (baby's father, your parents etc) then yes you can get taxes back.

    Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.