My 19 month old son isn't talking all that well

He says word. And he's good at the ones he knows, but he will try to talk and its just bable. For example. DO do do duz da NO! He says no at the end of nearly everything. He still won't say momma I'm dada and he can say thank you. He tries to talk but no real word come out. I'm not really worried, but I would like to know if there is anything I can do to help him talk better.

Amber1109

Asked by Amber1109 at 8:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If it's just that you can't understand him, that's normal. It doesn't have to sound like the word you say to be a word. "Ca" instead of Cat. Mee instead of milk. Nana instead of banana. Even Dee instead of Balloon is fine if it's what he decides to call balloons.
    Most kids can pronouce all of the sounds and say all of their words clearly by 6 YEARS old. Most parents can understand about half of what their 24 month old says.
    And remember, when in doubt, ask your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Read to him, point out things and say what they are. When we go grocery shopping I will pick something up and show my daughter and tell her what it is. In time it will get better.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 8:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• The biggest thing you can do to help him is to just talk to him. Point at anything and everything and look at him directly in the face (so he can see your lips moving) and say what they are. It will help him learn and help him see how you move your lips to speak. Good luck :)
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• repeat the word you think he is saying over and over. and as he gets older have him repeat it too.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 1:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I agree, repetition is the key. My son is the same age and is trying to put the words he does say into sentences. It comes out blah blah daddy blah blah blah mamee (his big sister's name is Jaimee) blah blah. It is adorable and I just cherish the fact that he is trying. Then there is always the rare occasion that someone says a bad word, and wouldn't you know it, those are the words that come out crystal clear...lol Good Luck. My younger sister didn't speak at all until she was 3 and then it was clear sentences. (We are only 14 months apart)
    cjzmom

Answer by cjzmom at 3:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• My oldest didn't talk till he was over two. Be careful.... once they start, they don't stop! lol...
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 8:53 AM on Jul. 16, 2008