• In the Spotlight:

Is my baby getting any milk?

My son is 2 weeks old and I have been trying to BF him since the hospital. He latched on and feed a couple of times, but after we got home he only has feed one or two good times. I had to start bottel feed him because he when 9 hours without latching on and I had to get him to eat. I have been pumping and am only getting about 1/2 an oz out of each breast. Everytime I try to BF if he latches on he only sucks for a minute and then starts crying. That's if he latches on at all sometimes he just starts crying. I don't know if he isn't getting anything or if he is just being lazy since the bottel is easier. Has anyone else had this kind of issue if so please help.

Harleys_Wife

Asked by Harleys_Wife at 7:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• not to sound rude or anythiing, but if you're only getting 1/2 an ounce when you pump, maybe you're drying up
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If he doesn't bf do you pump? If not, then your body may not be making more b/c it doesn't know that it needs to. To help increase your supply you should pump after every feeding. Try giving him the bottle first and then switching to the breast when he's not really hungry. Or, try to breastfeed him before he demands it and maybe he'll suck for longer. You may need to try some fenugreek or mother's milk tea to help kick your supply. Try calling Le Leche or your local hospital to speak to a lactation consultant
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Sorry, smnice is incorrect. What you pump never ever means a thing. Only the diapers matter...6-8 changes a day.

There are moms who can feed twins but not get even one drop from the very best pump. Your body will never respond to a pump like it will to a baby.

Please stop by the Breastfeeding Moms group...we can help.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Oh. And yes. You do have a case of nipple confusion going. Very fixable. See you over at the group!

• Since she's formula feeding her diaper count wouldn't be correct
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• "Since she's formula feeding her diaper count wouldn't be correct "

True. We need to figure out what it was before the bottles. There's a lot of Q&A needed here.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would contact a lactation consultant (either through your hospital or your local league). You can meet with someone in person and they can determine what exactly is going on and help the two of you get things figured out. Online advice can be very confusing when it comes to this stuff! Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• mabe try pinching ur breast mabe its coming out to slow or to fast,if its to fast pump then feed,if to slow,keep pinching it when he eats.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Pumping is not an accurate account of what you are producing. I would just keep trying to put baby to breast. Pumping and using bottles is what we eventually had to do. It is what works best--my DD only latched once at 2 mos and never since. I would contact a lactation consultant or the LLL. I would check out the BF moms group and see if they can help you out some more.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If you truly want to breastfeed, I would stop supplementing and pumping and consult a lactation consultant asap. As the PP's said, don't go by what you're pumping. My first baby refused to nurse also. I just kept at it, worked with a lactation consultant, and we eventually got it. He's probably got a case of nipple confusion going on. Once you've got the latch right and ditch the bottles, you should see improvement. Good luck!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009