Is alka seltzer good for cleaning toilets?

I know that denture cleaner tablets will work, but what about alka seltzer?

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 7:43 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Alka seltzer is aspirin and baking soda. Aspirin is an acid, and baking soda is alkaline. It fizzes, which might loosen some dirt in the toilet. But it isn't as good as brushing, and it would not disinfect. I am looking online to see if I can find out about disinfecting properties of denture tablets. I had read that they will help the toilet smell fresh and the fizzing loosens some dirt, but I am not sure about disinfecting the large amount of water in a toilet.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I am not finding much about using denture cleaning tablets online, other than that "green" groups like them. They say to drop two in at night. But even if they should clean and disinfect, the area above the water line and under the rim aren't cleaned or disinfected. And brushing would put the water and tablet solution onto those areas, but if the tablets need to stay in the water overnight to clean and disinfect, then a swish isn't going to do it. What I see is using a half cup of bleach in the toilet, swish around, let sit for 10 minutes and flush. Then the bowl is cleaned and disinfected.
    So my conclusion is that a couple denture tablets won't do it- too much water for the tablets to disinfect, but that I'll continue dropping a couple in at night just to keep the toilet smelling fresh between cleanings.

Answer by Bmat at 9:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• In between using a toilet brush with disposable cleaning head, you can pour 1 liter of coke in your toilet, leave it a few hours and flush to get out any stubborn spots!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009