Still in pullup at night at 3 1/2.

My 3-year-old will be 4 in March and is still in a pullup at night only. She is trained all day but not at night. How do I break this or is she too young yet?

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 7:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my 2 1/2 yr old wakes up at night to go to the bathroom. you just do it. she might wet the bed a couple times but that is how they learn.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 7:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• if and when she wakes in the morning dry over several days and or weeks she is ready to no longer wear them. Some kids bladders are small and they cant hold it as long and some kids are hard sleepers and dont wake up, so there is nothing wrong with her wearing them...up until age 6 ( I think) is "normal" for kids to have night accidents after that they need to see a Dr. just to make sure there is no medical issues. Pull ups are better than a bed that smells of urine, that is a hard smell to get out.. I hope this helps ease your mind some,
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Not much to o about it. Even the doctors won't recommend anything until age 5 or 6. She will get it. My son is 4 years and 4 month and just starting to be 50/50 with the night time dryness. It's pretty normal though. Just give it time.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I agree with midnightmoma. I had a friend whose daughter was seven before she could go through the night. Kids just grow at different rates.
    thisnametaken

Answer by thisnametaken at 8:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• stop drinks about 1-2 hours before bed. Make sure she pees before bed. I would also get her up in the middle of the night to pee if you need to. I would try this. It really isn't so bad that she isn't trained at night. When I was 9 I had a friend in pullups at night only. Some children have small bladders and can't hold it all night yet.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We switched from regular pull ups to the ones that feel wet. We woke her up several times during the night. Once she got to the point where she could go a couple of nights without an accident, we took the pull ups away. She is consistently dry through the night. She has maybe an accident a month. The key is to allow her to learn how to stop wetting. Doing it in stages will be easier on all of you.

Lily will also be four in March.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 8:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't know why people freak out about this. I have 4 kids and never thought to worry about them wetting at night. My oldest was staying dry from the age of 2 on (before she was even potty trained). My middle two kids, like many others, are bed wetters. My son is 7 and just stopped wearing pull-ups at night over the summer. My middle daughter is 6 and still wears pull-ups every single night.
    My youngest daughter is almost 3 and wears pull-ups. She just recently potty trained and can hold it all night long but can't make it to the bathroom (which is upstairs) in the morning so ends up peeing on her leg and doesn't like that.
    Some kids are just bed wetters and some take longer to learn to hold their bladders. Give it time.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:15 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I wouldn't worry. My son is 3 1/2 and I'm not even thinking about "training" him for nighttime. We're both okay with the pull-ups. By the time he wants to move to big boy underwear at nighttime, his body will probably be ready for it. Until then, he drinks before bedtime, he goes potty before bedtime, he sleeps until he wakes up and he's wet. Not a big deal in my world - I just think he's to young to make an issue of it.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son was in a pull up at 3 until he saw his buddy on a sleepover not wearing anything under his pj's. He didn't want to either! That worked for him but now I'm stuck with my DD who just turned 3 in one at night time. I'd take her to the bathroom before I would go to bed and she'd still wet her pull up. Not a big deal, just waiting for her to be ready. She's been potty trained since a 18 months.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My daughter is 4, she's potty trained all day wearing underwear. She wets during nap and at night because she's in such a deep sleep she doesn't wake up to go potty. I don't dare wake her because once she's up, she's up. She's also ADHD and OCD, but the wetness doesn't wake her up. So we do pullups. Sometimes she wakes up around 3 to go to the bathroom, but her pullup always is wet by then as well.
    Ms.Melanie

Answer by Ms.Melanie at 2:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009