Breastfeeding

At what age do you stop? What is acceptable? I'm all for breastfeeding but I came across a story that is going to air tonight on 20/20 about extreme breastfeeding and one is a mother breastfeeding a six year old. What are your opinions?
If I see bashing of one another I will close this out.

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 7:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in General Parenting

• The whole point is, is that a child over the age of 3, even 2 can get all the nutrients from regular food. What's the need to continue nursing. I say when the kid can pull up your shirt and undo your bra . . . well, it's definitely time to stop. Or hell, when the kid is old enough to cut their own meat . . . why on earth would you feel the need to still be nursing? It's super creepy!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• SQUAWK! Ok, I promise I wont bash! SQUAWK! 6 years old?!?!?!?! Is she going through some type of PPD? Is the child in some way deficient? How is it possible to produce that long? And... What channel is 20/20 on?
    Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 7:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You stop at the age when you and baby are ready to stop. Most of the time, that happens within year two. Sometimes later. It has nothing at all to do with the calendar.

It's NO ONE'S business how long a nursing dyad goes except the two people involved in that dyad.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm sorry, I forgot to add the link.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=6551439&page=1

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I can see a mom feeding up to age two but after that it seems to me alittle extreme. But thats JMO.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I understand that it involves only those 2. But truly think about it. This child, 6 years old, 1st grade already? Isn't that a little worrisome? I also saw, I think, on the show "The Doctors" that an 8 year old is also BFing. That is 3rd grade. I have a 9 year old and I can NOT imagine this situation.
    Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 8:04 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• JMO, but up to age 2 or so is normal, up to 3 is extreme, and older than that there's a problem somewhere!
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would personally feel uncomfortably breast feeding beyond the age of 2 and if I felt the need to supplement I would pump and put it in a cup.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 8:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I saw a story in England where a mom was nursing 2 one was 8 and the other was 10. I think that that is a little strange. I can see up to 2 to 2 1/2 but not really any longer. You can produce as long is there is demand.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 10 years old? TEN YEARS OLD?!?! OH MY GGGGGGGGGGOD! What about mental issues? I think I have mental issues now!
    Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 8:25 PM on Jan. 2, 2009