How is it possible to be in a relationship without being away from my children to often, and without getting them attached to this other person by bringing him into my home?

Single mom struggling to maintain a relationship

mel27776

Asked by mel27776 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Relationships

• You find a babysitter, go out on a date (maybe have lunch dates along with weekly date night), get to know the person and after a little while if it looks like it's heading somewhere, then introduce the man as a friend and see how they get along.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 8:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I totally agree with lisa ann..that is what I would do.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My brother and a woman he dated had a rule not to meet/introduce children for a while after they started dating. They didn't meet at their homes, but left the kids with babysitters and then met up. They didn't want the kids getting attached to each other either. It is a very good idea. They did eventually meet each other's children and are no longer together now but it did help to keep the kids from getting too attached.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 11:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Not sure if this helps or not. When my mom met my step dad I was 10 and my sister was 8. He was a man from our church and my mom told us she was going out with him. It was weird the first time she had him at the house. I'm not sure how long they had been seeing eachother before she brought him around. We got to know eachother and almost 20 years later they are married and he is my father. She had dated 2 other men after she seperated my dad and we met them and they were fine and when they broke up it sucked but don't think it's had any huge life altering effect on my life.
    Good luck with your relationship, I hope things work out for you.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 2, 2009