My 3 year old son has a rash on his butt. He has recently become potty trained. So it isn't a diaper rash. Anyone know what it could b? It itches and hurts.

The rash has some big bumps and some small bumps on it and is almost kind of scaly. He says it hurts to touch it. it is only on his butt cheeks. He has been potty trained for almost a month now. He still wears a pull up at night but that is all. i have called for an appt with his DR. But can't get in for a week or so. Figured I would try and figure it out. Any advice would b greatly appreciated. Thank you

Armywife91003

Asked by Armywife91003 at 8:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It could be a yeast rash. My daughter used to get them. My doctor suggested a bath in warm water and baking soda. One or two of these cured hers right up.

The other thing to look at is if you have changed detergent or started giving him new foods. The rash could be an allergic reaction.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When my daughter tried potty training she had the same outbreak. I think I remember being told to use like baby powder or something like it on her rash. But not any ointments b/c that could make it worse. Hope this helps
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Did you swich to new wipes like those flushable ones? Maybe they are doing it?
    Emyann

Answer by Emyann at 5:43 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• I haven't Changed anything. I have been doing the bath and baking soda thing. I have tryed ointment, powder. I even tryed Diaper rash cream. Nothing helps. It is wierd though. It comes and goes kinda. I mean it is all ways there but some times it looks WAY worse than other times. I don't know. I am trying to get him into the DR's but they can't get him in for 3 weeks. But Thank You All soooooooo much for the advice.
    Armywife91003

Answer by Armywife91003 at 9:59 AM on Jan. 5, 2009

• My daughter has the same thing! She's been potty trained for 3 months now. I THINK what she has is almost like a heat rash from sitting on the potty (she always thinks more is coming and I have to tell her she can only sit there 2 more minutes). It seems to be where her bottom touches the potty. I'm not sure what to do about it...
    ctmom432915

Answer by ctmom432915 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 5, 2009