my doctor told me im very high on the ranking of postpartum depression. i loveeeeeeeeeeeee my baby so much, and i dont feel like i have postpartum, but i have felt down since he was born (two months old) his father doesnt help this much.. he knows the doctor thinks there is something wrong, because he was there when she said it. what should i do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• PPD is very common, more women than you think actually end up with it in some way. Sit back and look at yourself...are you sad more often, do you cry for no reason? If these are things that happen then i recommend talking to someone. I was one of those people that said nooo i wont get it im too on top of things for that...but i did. and once i realized and admitted it i talked to a therapist and feel so much better. your body just went through so much and sometimes it just catches up with you. its nothing to be embarassed of...good luck!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 8:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Talk to your doctor! You have nothing to lose by doing this, and everything to gain (even if it is just peace of mind). Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• you should not be upset or ashamed if you do have ppd..it's very common even in the most best and strongest of woman! It just means your hormones are off balance. AT worst case you might have to take a anti-depressant, but it wont be forever and it might make you feel better and enjoy being a mom even more then you already do.... it doesn't mean you don't love your baby. If you love your baby then you'll get help and not be ashamed. Trust me...I wish I would have gotten help the first time I had a baby...I was severley depressed and I couldn't even pick my baby up or get out of bed and I never did anything about it! Everything is a fog now...I barely remember the first year of his life!
    abearshug

Answer by abearshug at 9:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When you say the father doesn't help much, have you two communicated enough so he knows how to help? Guys have big issues with figuring out what to do sometimes, even more so if he doesn't know what to do to help your possible depression. Say something to him like " I'm sure you realize I am exhausted and I think a little extra sleep will help with my mood. Do you think you could do one feeding a night for a few days to see if a few solid hours of sleep helps me improve?" Or maybe he could clean, or cook, or whatever would help you feel better. And at the same time, make sure you are following through. If that works and you are better, great, if not get to your doctor. There is certainly no shame in post partum depression and there are many ways to treat it. Good luck!
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had it pretty bad and didn't know it. I should have been medicated. Now I know that my doctor's need to pay super close attention to that the next time I have a baby. Just because you don't feel like you are doesn't mean that you don't have it. I had no idea until I was way out of it and I am surprised that my daughter and I are ok.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 9:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had it. My son was never the issue, never in danger. (my DH might have been) I just felt I was going crazy. My doctor put me on medicine and within a week or so I felt so much better
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 10:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2009