• In the Spotlight:

Is it okay for a 21 month old to get a flu shot while he has the flu?

My son is 21 months old and he went to the ER last night for a high temp and I was told that he had the flu. Today I took him to the doctor, but he seen a PA instead of his doctor. She gave him a flu shot and now he's worse. Was that okay?

jen_and_pat

Asked by jen_and_pat at 8:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Kids' Health

• They won't do it.
    Anonymous

• probably not okay for him, keep an eye on him.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 8:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't think children are supposed to get any vaccinations if they are sick and running a fever.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 8:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• No vaccination should ever be administered to a sick child.
    Anonymous

• My doctor told me, very firmly, when I made my daughter's flu shot appointment... if she is sick, reschedule. They will not give shots when she is sick. Odd that yours did.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 10:36 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• NO THATS NOT GOOD AT ALL
    their immune system is completely down and it makes it worse. wow i cannot believe they did that. i would be sooo mad. thats how problems happen...

also why i DONT vaccinate!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• You need to tell the regular doctor what happend. I would call the after care line or whatever. I mean that is wrong. Everyone knows you do not give shots to children with fevers.

Also getting a flu shot while having the flu is not going to protect you. It takes a while for the flu shot protection to work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• NO ONE is supposed to get the flu shot while they are sick with ANYTHING!! even nurse's aides (lowest possible person in the medical field) knows that, and a PA is like 3-4 yrs away from a dr! she should have known better! you need to tell you dr immeadately! and she needs to get fired!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 12:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yah, that was wrong. My son has a cold (just a cold) and he is supposed to get his shots on the 6th. I called today to cancel and told her that he had a cold and I didn't want him getting any shots while he wasn't feeling good and she said yah...we wouldn't give them to him anyway. She was just a medical assistant and that is most doctors rules. Poor baby. I'd be pissed!!!
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 4:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If there's a fever, they shouldn't receive any vaccination. What other tests did they base this diagnosis on? If he has influenza, that will give better immunity to that strain that the shot anyway? Just having a fever doesn't mean it's the "flu" and the shot sure as hell isn't going to make him better!

Talk with your regular doctor as soon as possible!!

One other thought...are you sure it was the flu shot? Was it maybe a steroid if he was having trouble breathing? Was it maybe an antibiotic because they felt it was bacterial? Was it maybe a fever reducer?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:28 AM on Jan. 3, 2009