My sisters MIL

Okay, my sisters MIL watches my nephew a couple of days a week. She charges them 30 to 40 dollars to watch him. She comes to my sister and brother in laws house, and she doesnt have to fee him. She watches him for 3 1/2 hours. And he takes a nap for 2 of those hours. She even charges them to go out for a couple of hours on a date. Who thinks that its a little crazy that my sister has to pay for her sons grandma to spend time with him?

mommie020308

Asked by mommie020308 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My mother would never do that. I think that is very odd.
    Anonymous

• yeah, its weird, i leave my kids with my MIL all the time and my hubby is handy so he does alot of stuff for her so he doesnt have to pay her, she doesnt expect money but at least she gets something in return like her floors done or something fixed. she's ripping your sis off.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• There are a lot of circumstances as to why she would charge and I couldn't begin to speculate those, but the only reason she is getting away with it is because your sister and her husband are agreeing to pay her.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wow, that's odd for grandma to charge. It's one thing if she's watching the kid every day like daycare, but just for going out, grandma time should be free.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wow, that's terrrible. My mil would never charge, she calls us to bring dd over . she never wants to give her back . . . lol
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My MIL would never ask for money to watch my daughter. She loves having the grandma time and she will watch her full days while I work outside of the house one day a week...not 2 or 3 hours. My SO and I don't ever go out, so we never need sitters outside of work and she knows that is her time to be a grandma. Like the PP said, if it was every day or something or if she was having to give up work to stay back with the grandchild, then I could see it...but just that little bit of time is crazy...and WAY OVERPRICED. What's next, getting a bill after dinner when she has them over?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• One time she watched my three and my sisters son. She only charged be 20 dollars, at first she was going to charge her son 15 dollars then she said 10. She begged my sister and Brother in law to let her watch my nephew cuz she didnt want to work with her husband, She just got quite a bit of money from suing someone that hit her. And my brother in law has been helping them build their house and works on their cars.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 11:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would find a different babysitter. If I ever had to pay a family member to care for my children they wouldn't be there.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:35 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Many years ago when my dd was in daycare, I had to move into my parents' basement apartment due to some financial problems I was going through. My mother told me before I moved in that I was NOT to count on her as a live-in babysitter. And she never babysat for me, either. I had to arrange for a sitter if I ever wanted to go out, and pay for full-tine daycare during the week when I worked. I cleaned an office building on the weekends and took my dd with me. Now, my mom and my dad both together and individually will volunteer to watch my brother's two children who are 3 and 7. I don't think my mom would have the same attitude with me at this point in her life, but it sure made things hard on me when she took that stance with me 17-18 years ago.
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• some MIL will do that so that they do not take over the main care giver role and so that the parents will understand that they do not have free child care. i do not agree with it at all but that might be why she is doing it that way.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 6:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009