BF and pumping

So, when my DD starts sleeping through the night should I pump to keep up supply or will my body adjust?

LishaBee

Asked by LishaBee at 8:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My body adjusted (after a few very leaky nights), but everyone is different. It couldn't hurt to pump and freeze some extra milk, but it's also GREAT to get the extra rest while you still can! if you seem to be having supply issues, I'd definitely add the extra pumping to your schedule. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 8:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Your body should adjust. You'll make what she needs-when she needs it. Not sure how old your baby is, but a lot wake up just to comfort nurse-quench thirst-or really just like that nighttime meal. I night-weaned my son at 14 months, he was a comfort nurser...just enough to wake up, a few sucks and back to sleep but I'd be wide awake.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• She'll be 4 months Sunday, she wakes often throughout the night to nurse- which is ok with me I can fall back to sleep shortly after I put her back down.. I don't know if I'm having supply issues- I may be.. me and my pump don't seem to have a great relationship haha.. I can only seem to get 4 oz total per 15 minute session..
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 8:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When my son started sleeping for longer intervals, I would just pump right before I went to sleep for a while so I had a good supply in the freezer. Then I could get a few good hours of sleep.
    chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Pumping isn't a good indicator of supply (although it too can help increase your supply even if you don't see an increase in output). If she's content & happy, you're changing lots of diapers...I wouldn't worry. If you have an electric pump--are you starting at the highest setting? This simulates the intense initial suckling that promotes letdown. You can dial it down after you have a nice flow. Also, make sure you're staying hydrated and relaxed. Nurse often--that's the best way to increase your supply.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would pump whatever Lily didn't eat before I went to bed and then let her nurse in the morning and then pump the side she didn't eat- I would get 5oz off the one side. Your body adjusts but I kept up my supply that way.
    Liliana111207

Answer by Liliana111207 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• When you baby starts sleeping through the night, you need to sleep! :) Your body will adjust.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 9:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I always pumped after my baby fed to keep my supply and build up my storage for when I went back to work. You body will keep making as much milk as you use. don't wake up to pump when baby is sleeping.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009