• In the Spotlight:

Breast feeding and bottle feeding. Is that right???

I been breast feeding my new baby since she was born a month ago. Later on I started also bottle feeding out of frustration. My little girl use to wake up at all times of the night to feed and then she use to fall at sleep on the breast, so I started giving her the bottle at night. Now it seems like the breast dos not get her satisfy so I have to breast feed her and then bottle feed her so she could stop fuzzing around. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or if my breast stop producing as much milk as they use to. I feel like I did something wrong and I don't know how to fix it. Is there still hope? Can someone help me?

GodPRKitty

Asked by GodPRKitty at 8:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• cont'd....

For peace of mind you can get some fenugreek to help your supply, take 3pills, 3x a day. Also since you probably dont have enough for your baby right now, every time you finish nursing, pump on each time for 10-20 minutes non-stop, EVEN if milk isnt coming out, it's the stimulation that tells your body to make more milk! After 1-2 weeks of that, your supply should be back up and running.

Feel free to PM me! Keep nursing that babay!! :)
    kate_jocelyn

Answer by kate_jocelyn at 12:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Oh yeah there's still hope, don't give up :) The more you nurse, the more your supply will grow.. if you think you're really low, you may want to try throwing in a few pumping sessions so that your body thinks your baby needs more milk.. it'll take a few days to increase, but it will eventually! My 4mo DD falls asleep on the breast at night too, and she wakes up ever 1.5-3 hours at night, but she's doing fine.. just follow your baby's lead :) And remember, it's not going to be like this forever, so cherish those sleepless nights and all the time you get to spend with her while you're building this special bond! Good luck :)
    LishaBee

Answer by LishaBee at 8:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Keep offering that breast as often as she wants it! Even if it doesn't fill her up, it will help stimulate the supply so you can eventually go back to just breast. Get the pump going as well, then you can give her that from the bottle instead of formula!

As for the sleeping through the night...remember, babies aren't known for being good sleepers! It's going to be hard when she's little, but really, it's supposed to be! I'm cool with my four month old waking up whenever he does, because that means I get to snuggle him! It won't be long before he doesn't care to do that anymore!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 9:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• She's comfort sucking after she feeds, she's probably getting satisfied but that is probably why she is on there so long.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I had to pump a ton to get my supply up. A good breast pump will cost you a couple hundred $, but that's way less than a year's worth of formula will.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Anytime you start giving formula in replacement for BM, your supply will most def. drop unless you pump each time she skips a meal. Yes your supply probably did drop because your baby was nursing less. Breastfeeding is a supply and demand process, the more stimulation, the more milk, the less stimulation, the less milk. If you'd like to get your supply back up, STOP giving formula. Nurse, nurse, nurse. On demand, no scheduling feedings. Feed her at night, that's just part of being a mama :) plus that will help get your supply back up.
    kate_jocelyn

• It's not too late! As the other posters said, just keep offering her the breast whenever she seems hungry. The more you replace breastmilk with formula, the more your supply will decrease. I went through the same thing with my first baby 15 years ago, but I didn't know how to handle it. She ended up being completely bottlefed by 6 wks, even though it wasn't what I had planned on.
    Godluvzu

Answer by Godluvzu at 5:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2009