my sons father is catholic and i was never baptised as anything. he wants our son to be catholic, and i really dont care either way, but all my family goes to protestant churches... any advice?

shellxobabie

Asked by shellxobabie at 9:17 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• my fiancee had this problem his dad was Catholic except him mom was Jewish so it caused a lot of problems for him, but then he decided to go non denominational which you don't call yourself Baptist or Catholic you just believe in God and Jesus
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 9:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• but I think its up to you and your sons father since you are the birth parents.
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 9:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wait til your son is older and let him choose. The church I go to WONT baptize a baby (they will "dedicate" the baby, But they feel the baby needs to choose, and I agree...
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 9:23 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would either wait til your son is old enough to decide for himself.
    OR, if you dont care either way then let him be baptized. If its a matter of your family being upset...thats their problem. This is something between you and your sons father and your son.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 9:30 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If it were me I would leave it up to your son honestly.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• yeah they do more dedications to a baby meaning that the parents will let there baby grow in Christ
    HollyRose

Answer by HollyRose at 9:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Get him baptised, then when he is older he won't have to get it done if he wants to get married in the church. You don't have to be a practicing catholic just because you are baptised. I am not an active member of the church but I got my DD baptised.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 10:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Wait it out and let the kid decide what religion he want's to be.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If you don't care, and your dh wants it- I would just get him baptised. Its not your family's decision- its yours and your husbands.
    abigail824

Answer by abigail824 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Our child was christened Catholic AND had a baby dedication. You can make both parties happy. Good luck.

Anonymous