Age and weight requirement for front facing carseat?

My son is 11 months old and weighs about 23 lbs. or so. I can't remember the requirements for front facing. Also, should I put his seat in the middle of the backseat? Right now its on the side. We have an SUV and the dealer said the airbags will not interfere with the carseat but, I'm not sure. I have heard that the middle is the safest. What do you think?

jacy3031

Asked by jacy3031 at 10:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1 year old and 20lbs..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 10:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• yep, sounds like you need to get a convertable car seat. Really you want to keep them rear facing as long as possible
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 1 year and 20lbs. in most states.
    mom23boys679

Answer by mom23boys679 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The one we have now is a convertible it's just rear facing still and it's getting harder and harder to get him in and out without hitting his head.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 10:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• The law says they have to be 20 lbs AND 1 yr old before you can front face, however, rear face for as long as your car seat will allow. It's really the safest - even if they're 4 yrs old! I wish I still had the link for that research, but it's SO much better and safer! My 2 1/2 year old is still rear facing in his convertible seat, and tall for his age, and is still comfy. It's ok for their legs to scrunch.

Middle is absolutely safest. Think about it if a car hits... there's that much extra room.
    forgivenservant

Answer by forgivenservant at 10:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I'm with forgivenservent that's absolutely correct. However I did read that leaving a child rear facing for as long as possible has many benefits. If you think about the driving habits of others and how often you have to jam on the breaks your little one's neck needs to be very strong to hold their head back and not throw their head forward. Try to keep him rear facing til' close to a yr and half. I turned my little one's about 13-14m old but I'm keeping the last baby rear facing as long as I can.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 10:42 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I would keep him rear-facing until he reaches the weight limit for the convertible seat which is probably around 35 lbs. Even though the law says they can be turned around at 1 year, doesn't mean they should.. their little bodies can't take it in a crash. Check youtube out for rearfacing vs forward facing in an accident... there is a HUGE difference in the injuries a child gets
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:16 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• even though he is at the weight limit it is against the law to turn him around before he is a year old. Also, it even says in the manual that the seat is not to be used forward facing until the child is 1 yr AND 20 pounds. It is now recommended that you leave them rearfacing until the limits of your seat, which is normally 30-35 pounds.

The middle is the safest, however I have 2 children so they both ride outboard
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 2:00 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You have to check the law in your state. Not all states have a law about rearfacing, like PA, we have no rearfacing law. You also have to follow the guidelines of the carseat.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:13 AM on Jan. 3, 2009