my 6 month old son has really bad gagging with any food thicker than stage 2. what do i do?

my doctor wants me to put him on stage 3 and start on soft foods. but evreytime i try something he starts gagging like he is going to throw up even on the tiniest peice of food you can imagine. he scares the crap out of me. i tried stage three and he did the gagging but then he started throwing up. will he ever out grow this or is this serious? h is a big boy with a big appertite. havent had any problems with anything yet but now this. what do i do?

michellem7781

Asked by michellem7781 at 10:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little guy is going to be 10 months old on the 19th. And he still isn't on stage 3. In fact I haven't started mixed fruits or veggies or meat yet either. I have offered a few adult items like potato's and squash french fries but like your little one my guy pukes and gags. I figure its just not time yet. and as he learns how to chew by watching us at the table....my little guy just started mimicing that ....lol....and gets a few more teeth he'll be able to chew food up and stop the gagging.
    I think your 6m old is too young to be feed the stage 3 but that's just me...GOOD luck.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 10:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• your baby will eat at his own pace. you as a mother should do what you feel is best
    persuasion91297

Answer by persuasion91297 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• He will definitely outgrow it. Sounds like he's just not quite ready.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Stick with the stage 2 foods if he seems to be handling them ok. You don't always have to go by what the doctor says. You are his mommy and you know what is best for him. GL!
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I am no doctor, but I bet that yours would agree that you dont want to put yourself or your child in an uncomfortable or dangerous situation. My daughter started eating more solid food sooner because she got teeth super early. However, if you are uncomfortable giving your baby stage 3 food there is NO reason to push it!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 10:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son was the exact same way. Dont let the doc pressure you into doing something your baby isn't ready for. Just cont giving him the stage 2 and he will eventually go to stage 3. My son will be 10months on the 7th and is just now starting to like stage 3, keep offering it to him so he can get use to it but dont force it on him. If he starts to gag, stop giving it to him and give him the stage 2 in a couple days or weeks try it again. He just has to get use to the texture of it.Start with the fruits and veggies first then work into the other food like the mac n beef, or the spagetti and meat sauce.
    Good Luck and yes he will grow out of it!
    1sttimemom2008

Answer by 1sttimemom2008 at 10:22 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• One of my girls gagged on stage 3 even around a year. I think she couldn't quite grasp that it was smooth with chuncks, because she could eat mac and cheese and other table foods just no the stage 3 foods. Not saying you should give your 6 month old table foods just that all babies are ready at different times. Maybe you can thicken the stage two with a little cereal. (I usually do rice or barley in veggies or meats and oatmeal in fruits) I do that because the stage 2 seem too liquidy and drippy.
    sarabear524

Answer by sarabear524 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I don't see why your doctor would want you to do stage 3 already at such a young age. I'm sure most babies at 6 months would gag on the chunks in stage 3 foods. And as a new eater I would think the food combinations are too much for a 6 month old.

Why was it suggested to start??? For a thicker food??

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Just wait until he is ready. All your baby needs in the first year is breastmilk or formula. Solids aren't for nutrition at this point, just experimentation. If your baby isn't ready he just isn't ready. I didn't even start my son on solids until he was 8 months old. Don't stress. He won't end up an adult who only eats baby food. He will eat stage 3, etc when he is ready.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Your dr. is a moron. Your kid is choking!
    zweedledee

Answer by zweedledee at 11:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009