Orgasmic births, is this really possible?

I'm watching Dateline 20/20 at this time and the first segmant is about orgasmic births. Many of the women on the show testified that they had an orgasm while in labor. Their deliveries varied from water births ( jacuzzi's etc ) to midwifes and one said she was hypnotized to release her fear and turn it into ecstacy. I was telling my husband now that's how I want to have our first it be an euphoric experience with minimal pain delivering via natural birth.

What are your thoughts ?

Please share your thoughts experiences comments also let me know if you would be willing to try it on your next pregnancy.

HazyPerception

Asked by HazyPerception at 10:19 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I'm watching the same thing right now. Kind of weird but I guess it could happen. I don't plan on having anymore kids but I doubt I would try it if I did.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It will be on here in a couple hours and I plan on watching it. I am planning a natural home birth with my second child here in July and I'm interested in learning more about it. Right now...I havn't formed an opinion, but I can tell you after I watch it :)
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 10:28 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My friend has tryed the hypo 1 and it worked for awhile intil they realized the baby turned quickly and the legs came first
    Anonymous

• I guess it can happen if you put yourself into that mindset...I wont be trying it anytime soon, but its open to whomever. What I am concerned of is a mother breastfeeding grwon children. Who the hell wants a 8 yr old hanging off of their boobs? EWW!
    Anonymous

• Lol, I was nothing but annoyed in labor and even more annoyed pushing. Lucky girls if its true!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Well, for my three births, starting 30 years ago, we didn't have to contend with all the hazardous interventions which are part of today's hospital routines. I was leery of hospitals simply because they would have the highest concentration of worrisome germs/illnesses. So I read up on natural birth and had my labors at home. 1st labor: 5am to 11am start to finish. 2nd: 10pm to 1:30am start to finish (from the first twinge that told me "maybe this is it!" to birth). 3rd: 11pm to 12:30pm - the midwife barely had time to get to my house! ... And as for pain, the way I characterized it at the time was like the pain of taking out a splinter - it hurts some, but it is a relief-hurt which feels right. No screaming on my part - my husband is always mystified when he sees videos of births and the mothers are crying out. He asks me, "Do I just not remember it, or did you actually never do that??" And I assure him that ...(cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:56 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• (cont'd) ... I never felt pain like that. ... Heck the pain of going pee during the first couple of days while the episiotomy was healing was WAAYY worse than any birth pangs. (So if you can find a midwife who'll help you avoid an episiotomy - hurray!) This kind of pain-free birth was common among the mothers in my community. It varied, of course, but most of my acquaintances had easy births. Perhaps it was because they were using the remedies available from anthroposophical doctors like Dr. Philip Incao (he has a pregnancy kit available through Weleda Pharmacy). These remedies, and also drinking raspberry leaf tea during the last month, loosen and strengthen the body for birth. Obviously, I swear by them. Recently, I came across a fantastic article Ecstatic Birth: Nature's Hormonal ... (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Um, I don't think that is possible unless your a sadist and like pain. Birth is NOT orgasmic. It is painful. Tissue rips, bones spread, and other unpleasant things can occur like defecating or urinating on yourself. Call me old fashioned, I cannot comprehend how any one can have an orgasm with things like that going on!

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 10:57 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• (cont'd) ... Hormonal Blueprint for Labor by Dr. Sarah Buckley. This article fully details what the body is doing during labor and birth, how the hormones work (AND how they get short-circuited by tension, cold and being in a strange place rather than in your home, etc.) and the very important hormonal things that go on immediately after birth in the newborn and in the mother. Find her article here: www.sarahjbuckley.com/articles/ecstatic-birth.htm ... and it is in the magazine Midwifery Today which has a plethora of helpful articles. I feel very sympathetic toward moms (apparently a LOT of them nowadays ! ) who go through painful labors and who have their babies in hospitals. I was very lucky with my labors, and it would be tempting to ... (cont'd)
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 10:58 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• (cont'd) ... to say my labors were caused by a uniquely healthy body or by how young I was (my 3rd labor was when I was 32), except that so many of my fellow moms had similarly easy labors. So, read up, look ahead with confidence, and focus mainly on how to give your baby the best care you can - after all, labor is only a couple of hours; THEN comes the round the clock care of a tremendously special person who has literally put her life in your hands ! That is a far greater task than giving birth, and is full of artistic and intellectual challenge. ... Best wishes to you - and keep in mind that sometimes the best-arranged birth goes awry and it is NOT any kind of failure if things happen differently than you had chosen.
    waldorfmom