potty trained but having accidents? read on...

as much as we tend to indulge our children, they only really have control over two things: what goes into their bodies, and what comes out. say you've got that really picky eater, who makes meal times drag on, while you turn grey and pull out your hair? don't let it be a big deal... your picky one is exerting power and control in his own way. children who are served food will not starve . try this: "you don't have to eat, but i have to serve you, a little of everything. seconds come when you've finished at least 2 of the 4 items on your plate". make it a non-issue. don't punish for it. soon, the pickyness won't get to you, so it'll lose it's effect. Have you every seen a child who poops his pants on purpose? it generally happens when he's mad at you. teach him where the rubber gloves are, and how to clean it himself, including rinsing his own underwear in the toilet. He'll try harder to stay clean. good luck!

vickiathome

Asked by vickiathome at 10:20 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I had a student (9 years old) who had accidents daily. He had been to a doctor and their was no medical reason for it. The first time he did it I called his mom ans told her to send a change of clothes. For the past 3 years he had been sent to the nurse daily and spent over an hour cleaning himself up and changing. His mom sent a change of clothes so I told him the next time it happened I would give him he clean clothes and he could change in the classroom bathroom and get right back to class.

He said, "But everyone will know I had an accident."

My answer was. "Then you better not have any more accidents."

After daily, sometimes more then once a day, accidents since kindergarten he never had another one again. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• To this day he will tell anyone who asks I was the best teacher he ever had. He's in 9th grade now. I know it might sound mean, but by holding him to a higher standard that behavior just became unacceptable. I doubt he even remembers that. He just knows I knew he could do better and he did very well in my class in all areas.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009