How can i get my 12 month old to fall asleep on his own

In order to get my 12 month old to fall asleep i have to sit in his pitch black room with music playing, give him a bottle right before he is asleep i give him his pacifier and then i have to rock him the rest of the way to sleep before putting him in his crib for the night. I would really like to be able to get him to fall alseep in his crib. what can i do?

Aydensmom122907

Asked by Aydensmom122907 at 10:33 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, if I was getting that kind of treatment every night...I'd want you to not leave too!

Seriously, you can live through the few nights of torture and let the baby cry it out...or, you can enjoy the snuggles while you have them. You'll miss it later. I do.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 10:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• It might be pretty hard to get him to fall asleep without you especially since he has been used to it for a year. Some would say to let him cry it out. I dont think you should let it go to extremes, mind you, but have you put him in there and let him cry a little? Also, does he have a mobile and a night light? Both of those help my daughter. She also has a "sleep sheep" that we have hardly used but it might be comforting to your son. It can make the sound of rain, the ocean, heartbeat, etc. Hope this helps!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 10:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I have no answer for you either because I'm in the same boat. My son will not sleep on his own. I finally gave in and started to let him sleep with me. I couldn't take the sleepless nights anymore, he never was a sleeper to begin with. I have tried the cry it out method, it did work for a while but then he got sick with hand, foot, mouth virus and that ended that. Good luck, I wish you well and if you get any good ideas/advice that may work could you pass them on to me? Thanks!
    newmom2465

Answer by newmom2465 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I would break him of it slowly. Remove 1 thing each week, and he'll be sleeping on his own in a month. I would start with removing yourself (it's ok to rock him, but put him to bed still awake so he can learn to fall asleep on his own), the pacifier or bottle should be next, and honestly there's nothing wrong with a little music as long as it's not on all night.. a mobil or glow worm for ex: are fine, because they only play music for a little bit, allowing your son to still fall asleep on his own.

Each child is different, it takes trial and error to figure out what works best for your son. My oldest didn't sleep through the night until 18m, then he did great until 2 1/2, now he's up in the middle of the night scared, and ends up in our room... to fix it, I brought his toddler bed up into the babies room. We're all good now. :)

Oh, and my 2nd has slept through the night since she was born. It all depends.. :) Good Luck!!
    maggerralla

Answer by maggerralla at 1:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Let him cry, it's the only way. Read him a story, kiss him, say good night, leave and shut the door. When he screams, go back in in 5 minutes and tell him to go to sleep. Next wait 10 min and tell him it's time to sleep, kiss him but don't pick him up. Next wait 30 min. Then leave him til morning. Do this for 3 days and he'll sleep without a fuss thereafter. You'll feel crappy, but he needs to learn how to do it. You have a 1 yr old who doesn't know how to go to sleep! Let him learn, it'll do him good in the long run.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 2:14 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• with both of my boys it took about a week to get them to sleep in their cribs
    first i would kiss them and talk to them in their room in the dark then put them in their crib and let them cry for about 10 mins then take them out for about 10 mins but not let them fall asleep on me then back in the crib for 10 mins then if they were still crying back out again for 10 mins etc just back and forth 10 mins in 10 mins out until they were so tired they fell asleep and within a week they were fine with going in their crib and just going to sleep
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 4:22 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Just a little back ground and how all this started. When he was 6 months old i had him falling asleep in his bed, then he started to have some swelling and pain in his cheeck and was diagnosed with non cancerous tumor that was attached to his jaw, so of course to sooth his pain i like a dummy started rocking him to sleep. and he has to have to room pitch black in order to fall asleep. If he can see a toy he wants to play. Now that the tumor has shrunk some and he isn't in as much pain i hope to get him sleeping threw the night and falling asleep on his own.
    Aydensmom122907

Answer by Aydensmom122907 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 6, 2009