i want to throw a surprise party for my grandma's 70th something.

so for the past 2 yrs my grandmother has been in and out of the hospital, and frankly we don't know how much longer we have it her, so i want to throw her a party, bc she has really been the stronghold of a very disfunctional family, and i just want her to know that we really appreciate and love her.... and it looks like i will be paying for everything.. bc the family says to chip in 100 $ is way too much and they have all the way to june to participate.... so do i inite those who don't help... i ant credit giving to those who help only, and i need ideas and all that stuff to keep it nice but cheap

tyesmommy

Asked by tyesmommy at 10:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Entertainment

• thats really sweet of you just don't surprise her too much
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Who would your granny want to be there? This is for her....not anyone else. If you give her a party do it out of love...no matter who pays and who doesn't. I'm sure she will be so excited. One word of advice though............Don't yell surprise!  :-)  Love grannies!

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:40 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• What a wonderful idea. To keep costs down have it in your, or someone else's home, and provide your own food. Perhaps everyone could bring food. That would keep costs way down. To rent a place and have it catered would run into big money, and if others aren't willing to contribute, then you may not want to go that way, even though it would be nice and fancy. On the other hand, a fragile lady might appreciate being able to sit in a comfortable chair and might prefer a lower-key party in a house. It will be the thought that matters in the end and the excitement. I'd say don't surprise her, let her have the fun of knowing about the party ahead of time and being able to think and anticipate. I think she'd enjoy it more. Yes invite them all and ask them or tell them what food to bring.

Answer by Bmat at 10:44 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• as a beloved granddaughter myself. that is wonderful of you. I'm honestly not sure how necessary a surprise party might be, as I've learned the long and hard way when it comes to dysfuntional families, no one else may appreciate her as you do. I will never talk to any of my relatives who did nothing to contribute to my well being or that of my gma before her death, now. I have also strained my relation w/my immed. family as they were closer to the other side of the fam. and it proved to be as I was alone w/gma during her 2wk hosp stay and death. And I was just like you the nurturing, hostessing, spending kind. If you really want my advice from your heart, consider what it is YOU have in common w/her OR what she might really LOVE. And let that be your gift.
    Anonymous

• That is really nice of you to do that. I think you should make her like queen for the day if you have any dollor stores you can get alot of party supplies for cheap. Ask people if they can bring a certain dish so you have people bring what you need. If no one wants to help with the food maybe do finger foods or cheap food that makes alot like a casserole or something with noodles then do a salad then just get punch that is pretty cheap. I think that you should get a card and have everyone sign it that hellp you with the party so she can know who really cares and help you out.
    andrea86160

Answer by andrea86160 at 12:33 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• That's so sweet... I have always been the grandchild who throws the anniversary parties for my grandparents in their 80's!! 60+ years of anniversaries (at this point) deserve to be celebrated. I have learned in the last few years that they prefer to keep things low key, but in the past I checked with some local restaurants for private rooms. Surprisingly, you could choose a certain menu for very reasonable prices. I didn't offer alcohol, kept it to the less expensive options, but we had a private room in a nice restaurant.
    Other years I have done the cooking myself, by making large amounts of something inexpensive and easy, like pastas, or big salads, and having it at my house or a clubhouse I could rent through an apartment or condo building, even banks, community centers sometimes have rooms you can use for free or a damage deposit. You go girl!!!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:43 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• your post caught my eye cuz we are throwing one this year for my mom who is turning 75 and has never had all her kids and grandkids at the same time...........i am gonna end up paying though cuz my bro just lost his job and has to come from texas, so i am gonna give him gas $$ and my sis just got a divorce and dont make much either so my 2 sons are gonna pay for her to get here from louisiana, and i am gonna get a menu from my sis in law, cuz she is the party person, and start buying stuff a little at a time.........and when she gets here she can stay at my house and prepare all the food, so that will be their contribution........our present will be our presence and we will invite her friends and our other relatives who live here..........
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 12:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i bet my cousin will help me too if i ask, not for $$ but just making invitations or something............this will be the end of march.....i am just waiting on my brother for a date cuz he works the motorcycle race circuit and has to see which weekend he is free at that time in the spring......that is a busy time for them...........but we are so excited........i am even gonna hire a photographer friend to come and take some good pics for me of the fam together..............but i am doing it at my house and the hardest part is gonna be pulling off the surprise but my mom will never suspect and then see all her kids here together.....she will be so excited.........me and my sis cannot wait and think it is gonna be grand.........
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 12:54 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• she will come early and help with the prep too and my dil and dd will help as well..........and hopefully it will be right after spring break so i will have some time off to prepare as well............it sounds like you have plenty of time, just start shopping early and freeze stuff..............
    twarmymm

• Sorry, my answer was so long i had to break it into 3 parts........but i hope it all goes well for you! Good luck!
    twarmymm

Answer by twarmymm at 12:56 AM on Jan. 3, 2009