How old is too old to breastfeed?

Watching 20/20 and there are women breastfeeding 5yr olds and older. How old is too old?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If they are old enough to ask, they can drink it from a cup! I BF all my boys, for varying amounts of time due to varying reasons, but 5 years is too long and gross! I've heard experts say that boys shouldn't see their mothers nude after 3 years of age, so nursing at 5 just seems to be pushing it!
    team_tarra

Answer by team_tarra at 10:41 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I was watching that also! I think that it is horrible that the little boy in kindergarten is breastfeeding! Not only is he getting used to getting comfort from his mother and his mother alone, but it seems as though the prolonged breastfeeding is only for the benefit of the mother. I am totally for breastfeeding but NOT for that long!
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 10:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I agree. If they can lift your shirt and say "I'm hungry," its time to let it go. Its more sick at that point. I knew a lady who breastfed until her DD was 5 then had another so she could continue breastfeeding. She liked it because it turned her on....I find breastfeeding to be an annoyance :S If you want your kids to continue having breastmilk simply pump n' dump into a cup! lol Or put it in their cereal.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 10:48 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• HA! I agree with you guys..I think that its a little excessive to have a 5 yr old on your breast asking to be fed...I mean come on..your old enought to feed yourself and TALK!!!! WOW...I really do believe that its for the benefit of the mom after 2..It makes them feel needed or something..I dunno..But yuck!
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• 18-20 months is okay, but after that you can give the child all the nutrition they need through their diet. Five is extreme. I don't see how that is psychologically healthy.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 11:05 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I stopped at 22 months with my daughter.. I was even thinking she was a lil too old then. But the doctor always told me to go as long as I/she wants. 5 is so extreme.. I remember things from when I was 5 and breastfeeding wouldn't want to be something I look back on!! Especially for boys, lol.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 11:09 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I breastfed all of my kids, each one for a little longer than the one before. When I was still breastfeeding my youngest at 22 months, though, my husband thought it was ridiculous, and at that point I admit it was getting extreme, lifting my shirt up wherever and whenever she decided she was hungry or tired. I couldn't imagine wanting to drag it out for 5 years.
    AngieG.

Answer by AngieG. at 11:11 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I BF both my boys extended periods of time. my first for 13 mos (not exclusive he ate regular food too after 6-9 mos. ) And due to lactose intolerance my second son was BF almost exclusively for a year and then BF toddler food till age 2. Three days after his 3rd bday once we were sure he could handle cows milk (he couldn't stomach anything elsemilk wise but Breastmilk to this point) he went colr turkey no more boobie. I think that while the decision should be made by each mother as to when to stop once the child is big enough to clearly need more nutrition (3+) Pump it if you want to supplement but for the moms who do it cause it turns them on that's just sick at any age! It's for the health and bonding not a womans sexual pleasure.
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 11:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Grr sorry it was 3 days after his 2nd bday not 3rd. Sorry for typo
    Tygermommanikki

Answer by Tygermommanikki at 11:13 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• If your child is YOUNG enough to ask for it, they are young enough to need it. There is no reason to stop bfing an older baby. Geesh we are so scared of our bodies. Breast are for making milk.
    mom2eeba

Answer by mom2eeba at 11:27 PM on Jan. 2, 2009