My daughter is only two months old but has gotten in the habit of staying up for 3-8 hours with only 20 minute naps every couple of hours. I've tried everything i know to get her to sleep longer but nothing seems to work. Any ideas

Mira is two months old but for some reason about a week ago she started staying up several hours at a time and only taking short catnaps in between. She only does this inthe morning after 6:30 am but her doctor tells me she needs to get more sleep. I have tried everything that i know but nothing seems to work. Any advice.

clambert1984

Asked by clambert1984 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she fretful or upset when she is awake? Or does she seem to be pretty content? Have you tried warm bottles? Singing to her? When she wakes up, does she seem startled? Maybe something in your house is waking her up or bothering her?
    GraciesMomLJP

Answer by GraciesMomLJP at 10:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• We've tried all that and she seems pretty happy at first but after it goes on most of the day she starts getting fussy. She doesn't act l startled or anything when she wakes up and i have been trying to keep disturbances to a minimum. She has been sleeping the same environment since we brought her home and we never had trouble with her sleeping before. Like i said it just all of a sudden started about a week ago.
    clambert1984

Answer by clambert1984 at 11:00 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• You know sometimes their sleeping habits just change for no reason. My son started doing the same thing around 3 1/2 months. He would take one or two naps that lasted only 25 minutes and he was up for the rest of the day. I just let me stay up during the day and went it was time for bed I would give him a nice warm bath ( for about 20 minutes: keep toys handy), read 2 books, feed him, lay him in his crib and sing to him until he fell asleep. We did this for about a month and he started sleeping through the night but he still doesn't sleep long throughout the day. So don't worry, my doctor said as long as he wasn't screaming or crying then it's fine. Good luck, hope his helps.
    zaysmommy08

Answer by zaysmommy08 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My ds started not napping at an early age as well-i know it sucked. Try to keep her very stimulated when she is awake and maybe it will exhaust her. Try fresh air,walk,car rides.And don't limit noise too much-u want to be able to walk around and do some things while she sleeps.I made that mistake w/ds and everything woke him up.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:32 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Remember too- that every few weeks your baby will go through a growth spurt and their "normal" habits will change. My baby did the same thing.... at 3 months old we did the Ferber method on her and now she is sleeping from 8pm to 730am, with one 5am feeding. Be patient! I would definately get Dr. Richard Ferbers book "How to solve your childs sleep problems." that book was a life saver!!!!! Feel free to contact me if you have questions!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son does the same thing and I Hate it because I can't get anything done around the house during "nap" time cuz it only happens like 2 times a day for 30 minutes. I couldn't believe he'd stay up all day and still wake up every 4 hrs at night. He is very alert though and very smart for his age and he is developmentally ahead for his age so I guess he'd rather stay awake and take it all in during the day. He's afraid if he sleeps he's gonna miss something. I don't think there is much you can do. When he started getting cranky i'd lay him in his bed usually 2:30 and he'd fall asleep but it wouldn't be a long nap. Lucky for me he's starting to sleep through the night.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Mine was the same way. He's 5 months tomorrow and is still the same way. When he was 2 months people would make comments like "ohh they sleep so much at that age!" and I would think "yeah well, not mine!" He sleeps 5-6 hours straight at night and when he does wake up usually goes right back to sleep after a bottle but during the day he's up. He'll get really tired and cranky, fall asleep for 10 minutes and wake back up all smiley and rejuvenated like he just slept through winter. My only advice it let it be as long as she's doing fine. She'll sleep when she's tired. Really hard on Mama though! I know, I'm there.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 3, 2009