Do I need a breast pump?

I want to breast feed but don't know if it is going to be possible after my breast reduction.

If I am able to breast feed, I am only going to do it while I am at home with her and stop when I return to work. (I don't have an option to stop and pump at work)

So if I am at home and able to breast feed I would do it all natural.... right?

I am just at a loss if I spend the $100's of dollars in a pump that I may not be able to use or not use at all.

What is your advice?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 10:50 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd say get a nice hand held one (manual). They don't cost as much and still work well... and are nice if you don't plan to pump that often. I have one that I keep in my diaper bag.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:12 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Consultants did not agree w/pump for F/T BF, but I bought one and now realize I didn't need it; I would have learned plenty from a manual pump. Since you are P/t BF you do need to keep your milk flowing so in that sense you will need to pump someway during day to mimic baby. The breasts will only continue to produce w/stimulation/sucking. Massage them gently and use a manual pump I'd say. Fridge the pumped milk for up to 3 days, and that can be given to baby during day.
    babygirl821

Answer by babygirl821 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I used my breast pump a lot when I was at home with my son. There were times when he wouldn't wake up (due to jaundice) and I needed it to, one, relieve my milk, and two, to have some when he did decide to eat. I would definitely recommend buying one. If you plan on having more children, you can use it for them too. I didn't breastfeed long, but I have a friend that uses it at night because her son sleeps through the night. If you do decide to get one, definitely splurge for the double breast pump. Hope this helps!!
    HeatherLeigh

Answer by HeatherLeigh at 10:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My pump was well worth it. What I saved on formula more than made up for what I paid for the pump. I pumped after each feeding to get milk for during the day while I working. My son only had one formula bottle a day while after I stopped pumping at work.

My hand pump works great when I'm traveling, but the electric pump was much easier for me.  If you don't use it much you can always resell it on EBay and make some of your money back. 

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• it really depends on how long you plan to breastfeed. If you have to go back to work at 6 weeks or so, i would just get a manual pump, or a less expensive electric double pump. The expensive Medela pumps are good for if you have to pump frequently for a long period of time. I had the manual medela pump, and it worked great! they are about 35 bucks at Target.. or you can get a new one on ebay for cheaper sometimes.
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• A couple of thoughts:

-You may not need one if you're only planning on feeding for a couple weeks/months. If you find you need/want one, you can always run to the store (or have someone pick one up for you).
    -Not sure why you're not able to pump at work, but if it's because your employer won't let you, I believe they are required by law to let you pump. You may want to look into it.
    -You may be able to rent a pump from your hospital. It can be very inexpensive to do so, and would allow you to try out an expensive one, should you decide it'd be worth purchasing.
    -You may want to have a manual pump in case you become engorged and baby isn't ready to eat (or you're too big for baby to latch on).

I also wanted to be prepared with this, but decided to wait until I was sure I'd be able to breastfeed before investing in all of the products. I got my pump and supplies when my son was three weeks old. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 11:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• From what you write, you don't need a pump.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Legally your work HAS to give you pumping breaks. Dont ask, tell. It doesnt sound like you REALLY want to breastfeed though, so if your just going to give it up that easily, then no dont waste the money on the pump, you'll need it for formula.

On the other hand, if you want to consider getting more serious about BFing(which you should), then yes it would be a great idea to get a pump.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think a pump is a good investment, for one, early on in breastfeeding your breasts can become engorged and hard and a tiny bit of pumping can help baby latch on. If you are going back to work and you want to stock up, you have the pump to do so. If you can take your pump to work with you and even use it once on your lunch break, it will help. Whatever you decide, breastmilk for as long as you can will be best for baby. =)
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:32 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you don't want to buy a pump you may be able to rent one from the hospital you give birth at.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Jan. 3, 2009