When should I stop feeding my son baby food?

HeatherLeigh

Asked by HeatherLeigh at 10:51 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'd say when he can eat a good variety of table foods.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:10 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Like the answer before, when he eats everything you do at meals. Just make sure he has a balanced diet. But I wouldn't get rid of those baby foods so soon! I still like to use them to ensure William gets all his food groups. You can stir a little spoonful in applesauce, mix in a jar in his spaghetti, all sorts of sneaky ways to get him to eat things he normally wouldn't in whole form.
    mommyofwilliam

Answer by mommyofwilliam at 11:26 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• when he has teeth and can start to eat table foods...pasta and cooked veggies..pieces of fruit cut up small, regular applesauce, tender meat if he is able to chew well. If your son is over one he needs to get use to table foods or you will have a picky eater later on! ;) try everything. a good start is some small real cheddar cheese some crackers, maybe some yogurt, little pieces of meat loaf or other types of tender meat.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• None of my kids ate jarred baby food past 8-9 months - they wouldn't eat the 3rd stage foods, so I mashed up whatever we were eating and they ate that. Go with his cues - if he just doens't want baby food, and eats table food well, then quit. If he doesn't do well with table food, and is still wanting baby food, then keep going with it. Always follow baby's cues, don't force them into or away from anything (unless of course danger's involved).
    Anonymous

• I just saw he is 11 months? if you haven't started things like cooked carrots or eggs, cheese. Go for it! Just make sure things are cut small. You could still do like baby puree fruit but i would move onto graduate foods which you can do yourself you don't need to buy the overpriced gerber graduates which looks and tastes horrible.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• I agree with a couple of other moms. Gerber graduates (and similar products) all look and taste pretty nasty, and are overpriced. Once my son was eating several containers of baby food per meal, I started making the switch to "real" food. He has always done really well on soft-scrambled eggs (with or without cheese). We have also done really well from the beginning with stew-like canned soups. Just "mush up" the ingredients with a fork before feeding--and don't get the condensed kind--and he should do well. Then it's really easy to make the transition to full solids. Depending on the number of teeth, he can start having soft solid foods as early as he seems ready for them. Breads, soft fruit, and pasta are easy beginner foods that you can fix easily and cheaply. Go for it!!
    BobbysMom2007

Answer by BobbysMom2007 at 12:26 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• All mine were completely off baby food by 8 mos. They ate table foods, usually whatever I was eating. You don't have to listen to Gerber. They are interested in selling baby food, not raising your baby! Good luck to you!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:06 AM on Jan. 3, 2009