What would a parent do that would cause a child to become OCD?

A question asked if it was nature or nurture. if it is nurture. what does a parent do to cause that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jan. 2, 2009 in Health

• I don't know other than being OCD themselves. I know children born to parents with OCD have a higher chance of developing the disorder themselves.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Over controlling parents can cause a child to become OCD.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:07 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• speaking as an OCD sufferer, for me at least it's a control thing. I was physically abused as a child and lived in a broken home. I have a need to be In Control of everything. I know it comes from my childhood, the reasoning I said was told to me by a psychologist.
    Anonymous

• I am a firm believer that it is completely nature for me. My OCD has been an issue from as far back as I can remember. It gets worse with age. BUT. I can see how needing to be in control could make a difference. I'm not sure of exactly saying it can be "caused". But, I can see as how it could be made worse. OCD is a form of mental illness, not something you catch, and I'm not saying that harshly. Just my opinion.
    crazybeautifulh

Answer by crazybeautifulh at 11:31 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• Yes - I think most of the time OCD stems from an attempt to control feelings of anxiety and insecurity. I have a friend with OCD who also grew up in an abusive home, and later was basically abandoned by her mother. She says she can remember having anxiety attacks and symptoms of OCD as early as 6 or 7 years old. As with most illnesses, I think there are biological and environmental factors that contribute to it.
    Anonymous

• A parent merely contributes the genetic code. It's nature.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:49 PM on Jan. 2, 2009

• My son went to head start from the time he was three, and they drilled into those poor kids the germs and inportance in washing hands. Now at 8 my son is still "crazy" over washing his hands. He washes them so much that he will actually start bleeding from the chapped wrist and knuckles. I just think that it can happen to anyone who has something drilled into them or a control thing, it could be nearly anything. What is this OCD? Is there anything you can think of that would have set it off. i.e...my story?
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Anything traumatic or stressful can cause it. OCD is a way to try to control your environment. If the kid feels a lack of control in some area of his or her life OCD could develop as a coping mechanism. A different kid might misbehave or dissociate in the same situation or become a over achiever or anorexic. Heck some kids might just deal with their lives in a healthy manner and grow up just fine with no mental illness.  I think it's best to work on a solution to the problem rather than trying to find and blame the culprit.  That won't fix anything.  Good luck!

shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:01 AM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Nothing. The child is either OCD or not. Certain stressful events can "trigger" the onset, but it is in the genetic code of the child from birth. It runs in families, so is more likely if the child has OCD relatives.
    brokenmelody

Answer by brokenmelody at 10:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have ocd too. It is very much a control thing and i have had it since i was 4 or 5. I grew up in an abusive home. Ocd is a way of coping and putting things in propotion. 'If i just do x, x more times then this will all go away' etc
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:33 AM on May. 6, 2009